Girls’ Varsity Thwarted

[doptg id=”138″]

By Michael Tricca

Thursday night’s game pitted the varsity basketball team against that of Newton South, resulting in a disappointing 40-60 loss for the last home game of the season. The night was also Senior Night, recognizing students Jessica Libby and Morgan Ross.

The tension in the air was palpable as each team warmed up. A borderline-manic verve ran through the crowd. Westford managed to get the ball right off the bat, driving down to Newton’s side. Westford managed to keep to Newton’s side, multiple Newton fouls allowing for two points to be scored via free throws.

Newton retaliated with a series of their own free throws, along with a standard basket and a three-pointer. A free throw from junior Karly Bigham got Westford back in the groove, and the team was able to follow up with another basket. The game continued in it’s back-and-forth salvo fairly evenly until the end of the first quarter, when Newton pulled ahead with a free throw followed by a three-pointer.

Westford opened the second quarter with a basket, but Newton buried them nine points under with a succession of baskets topped off by a three-pointer. WA managed to retaliate by scoring a series of two baskets, followed up by two successful free throws from freshman Elizabeth Arnold. Newton reaffirmed it’s lead with a succession of free throws, leading at halftime 31-16.

Newton continued to pull further ahead during the third quarter; Bigham scored a three-pointer for Westford, but it wasn’t enough to even the score. Still, Arnold managed to close the quarter with an impressive last-second layup, bringing the score to 27-41. Bigham lead Westford into the fourth quarter with a neatly-executed shot off the rebound. Freshmen Emily Bramanti and Arnold followed up with a total of three points scored through free throws. Despite this, Newton laid waste to WA’s defense, scoring an absurd succession of three pointers. The game ended 40-60, going to Newton South.