Wrestling defeats Shawsheen

By Ellie Smith and Kathleen McAleese
Features Editor and Editor-in-Chief

On Wednesday, February 11th, the WA wrestling team defeated Shawsheen Technical High School in an intense match. Both teams worked hard, but WA ultimately won the meet with a final score of 36 to 33.

Junior Tyler Silton wrestled in the first match. After putting up a hard fight, he eventually loss the match to make the score 0 to 6.

In the second match, sophomore Cameron Eldridge worked hard to pin his opponent to make the score 6 to 6.

“I felt like a firework out there pinning that kid,” said Eldridge. 

Senior Adam Peternell dominated in a hard fought match, winning 13 to 0. After attempting many moves on his opponent, Peternell eventually pinned him to make the score 12 to 6.

“I feel I did as much as I could for the team,” said Peternell. “For the entire three periods I had been trying to get the pin and finally got it in the last minute of the match, securing 6 team points.”

Freshman Max Chernauskas worked hard to take down him opponent, but ultimately lost with an individual score of 6 to 9. This match brought the score to 12 to 9.

During Senior Matt Bunyon’s match, his headgear fell off during the first 30 seconds. After Bunyon put on his headgear again, he worked hard to pin his opponent, but was unable to. However, he ultimately won the match 8 to 1, bringing the team’s score to 15 to 9.

Junior Charlie Barnas attempted moves on his opponent and ultimately was able to pin him in a difficult match, making the score 21 to 9.

“Individually I am very proud of my performance,” said Barnas. “I fought for 5 minutes and 59 seconds and got the pin with a second to spare.”

Senior Alex Chernauskas worked hard, but lost in a hard fought match 5 to 12, to make the overall score 21 to 12.

Senior Nate Furness was able to pin his opponent quickly and brought the team’s score to 27 to 12.

Freshmen Luke Donovan and David Lizotte were pinned by their opponents to make the score 27 to 24.

In one of the most intense matches of the night, senior Anthony Amato fought long and hard to ultimately take down his opponent. Amato attempted many moves on his opponent and both wrestlers worked hard to bring the individual score to 6 to 6. Amato won in a one minute overtime to make the overall score 30 to 24.

Freshman Andrew Piedrahita was quickly pinned by his opponent, making the score 30 to 30.

Senior Tommy McDonough worked hard in a tough battle with his opponent and was able to pin him to make the score 36 to 30.

In the final match of the night, junior Nick Reagan fought hard in an intense match. Reagan held his own ground and Shawsheen was only able to score 3 points, allowing WA to win the match with a final score of 36 to 33.

Overall, WA felt they worked hard during the difficult and intense match.

“We knew Shawsheen was a tough team going into it, but our team ended up proving ourselves tougher, especially the last few kids including Anthony Amato, Tommy Mcdonough, and Nick Reagan,” said Peternell. 

With tonight’s win, the team has acheived the most wins in WA wrestling history. Barnas was satisfied with the team’s overall performance and was glad to finish the season with a win.

“We all did what we were expected to do in the last meet of the season. It led us to a final record of 29-4 and that gives us the most wins in WA wrestling history,” said Barnas. “We won 36-33 over Shawsheen who has been ranked slightly ahead of us all season.”

Bunyon is proud of his team overall and feels that this win was a great way to end the season.

“I am extremely proud of the whole team, wrestling is a grind and we fought hard all season,” said Bunyon. 

[doptg id=”137″]