Comforts of the game couch

By Alisha Sabnis

This March the Westford Academy Varsity Cheerleading team is heading to nationals and is in the process of raising money to fund the trip. One of the main fundraisers is the new Luxury Couch Game Seating. This is a new contest where students can enter to win a chance for them and one friend to watch one of the home basketball games from the comfort of a couch with a fresh pizza, drinks, and candy.

This is the first fundraiser for the team in the last four to five years. The Luxury Couch Game Seating is a new idea and has never been done before by WA. Another fundraiser was running at the Holiday Bazaar where people could give money to “imprison” others. These profits also went to fund their trip to Nationals.

“I think it’s been a great success so far. I think in one particular game they sold about $200 worth of raffle tickets so that was good,” said Dan Twomey, the Athletic Director who is supporting the team’s fundraisers.

Along with Twomey, support is also coming from Coach Tamara Hayes and WA Cheer parents. The cheerleaders were the first to commence this program.

Students can buy raffle tickets for $2 each or four for $5. As of now the team has been selling around 40-50 raffle tickets per game. Tickets can be obtained from the cheerleaders on game days and during lunch in the cafeteria. The first student winners were Josh Mills and Andrew Gounaris.

“The couch is a fun and creative way for WA cheer to raise money, props to them. It’s also a great time being comfy while watching the best basketball team in the state win games,” said Gounaris.

There are many features that the luxury seating includes. Two tickets to the game and sideline seats along with pizza and refreshments. The students who have had the chance to experience this have been impressed so far  with the features that come with the luxury game seating and others look forward to experience the comfort of watching the game like they are at their own home.

“I believe we are going to keep it the same until the season ends because it seems like it’s building interest. This is an original idea that students seem to be liking,” said Twomey.

The team also believes this new seating is a huge success and will plan on keeping for the upcoming years for raising funds for their team.

2 winners at WA home game against Acton Boxborough