Boys’ Hockey takes down Billerica

Ben Walker

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015, the Boys’ Hockey team faced off against Billerica High School, and won by a final score of 4-2.

Within the first few minutes of the first period, Billerica went on the man-advantage and put on some pressure. However, senior goalie Matt Restuccia would deny all of their chances, keeping the game scoreless.

As the period progressed, WA started to generate some shots on goal. Then, with about nine minutes left in the period, they would go on the man-advantage. They eventually scored during this advantage off of a goal from sophomore Eric McLaughlin.

The second period started off with strong play from Westford, but about three minutes into the period Billerica would tie the game up.

Senior Peter Conway gets into a scrap with Billerica players. Photo by: Madie Blais
Senior Peter Conway in a scrap with Billerica players. Photo by: Madie Blais
Senior Goalie Matt Restuccia attempts to deny a rebound. Photo by: Madie Blais

From then on the period was pretty even until Billerica capitalized on a chance with a bit under five minutes to go.

The third period started with a man-advantage for Billerica, however they could not capitalize on any of their scoring opportunities. After that, the next few minutes were even.

However with ten minutes to go, senior Chris Cornetta re-directed a shot past Billerica’s goaltender and into the back of the net to tie the game at two goals a piece.

WA never looked back after that, and with about six minutes left, senior Adam Keefe would put Westford up 3-2. Finally, Andrew Gounaris would seal the deal for Westford when he scored on an empty Billerica net.

Westford will look to add another win on Saturday, February 7, when they take on Xaverian at the Foxboro Sports Center.