The love of Valentine’s Day

heartBy John Devereaux
WABC Liaison

Valentines Day is a holiday that the students of Westford Academy are split on. Half of the students dislike Valentines Day, while the other half love Valentine’s Day. I am among the half of the student body that thoroughly enjoys this holiday. For me, the holiday brings out the joy of receiving gifts, or just another presence of a person.

Since elementary school, students have been hyped up over Valentine’s Day. I remember receiving candy and hand written cards from everyone in my class. In middle school, the candy was removed and cards were created for everyone’s friends. Once high school rolled around, everything that we used to do back in elementary school and middle school was thrown out. Now, everyone now uses Valentine’s Day as a way to express their feelings to a special someone.

Westford Academy, however, does take some action for Valentine’s Day. The student council sets up a secret admirer’s kiosk in which students can send roses to a special someone or a friend. I love the fact that the school runs this project, because in high school you don’t get the traditional candy or Valentine’s cards from students in your class, and Westford Academy acknowledges that. The student council’s project is a good idea for Valentine’s Day, and Westford Academy should continue this event or a form of this event in the future.

Even though Valentine’s Day is not a popular holiday for some students, some teachers will celebrate the holiday by keeping classes a little simpler by keeping the notes. And with Valentine’s Day being at the start of February vacation this year, teachers may give less work to students, so this holiday does ease up your school work schedule. Also, if you keep in mind that whenever Valentine’s Day rolls around, you’ll at least know that February break is coming quite soon.

Another reason to love Valentine’s Day is because it can be celebrated with friends or family. Having someone giving you a gift to show that you mean something to them is the best feeling, whether it’s the classic roses and chocolates to prom proposals.

Being with someone who means a lot to you around this holiday can be just as nice as having a special someone. A date doesn’t describe Valentine’s Day , unlike most people believe. A friend that shows care to you around this holiday and is willing to hangout with you, is all you need.

Happy Valentine’s Day.