Should the Superbowl be a holiday?

By John Devereaux
WABC Liaison

This upcoming Sunday is Super Bowl Sunday. Our home team, the New England Patriots, will be facing the returning champions from last year’s Super Bowl, the Seattle Seahawks. The game will start at 6:30 p.m eastern standard time. The Super Bowl this year will be held in Glendale, Arizona at the University of Phoenix stadium.

The New England Patriots are entering their sixth Super Bowl under head coach Bill Belichick, and future hall of Famer quarterback Tom Brady. This past season, the Pats had their ups and downs, which included a slow start, but an amazing middle season. They broke playoff records, and were involved in the controversial deflate gate. The Patriots went 13-3 this season, and received home field advantage. They went on to beat the Baltimore Ravens in a thrilling game in the divisional round, then moved on against the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC championship round, blowing them out 45-7.

Should the Super Bowl be considered a holiday? This event is entertainment for football fans around the country. Many people who don’t follow football stay up late to watch the game whether their team is in it or not. There are even people who watch the game just for the new commercials being shown by their favorite brands.

In past years, the Super Bowl started at 8 p.m eastern standard time, and the game wouldn’t end until late at night. Students who would watch the game would stay up late and be tired for school the next morning. And with our home team in the Super Bowl, students and faculty from Westford Academy will be up to watch the game whether it’s for the commercials or the actual game.

Westford Academy should have a small holiday for the Super Bowl. They should cancel school whenever the Patriots are attending the Super Bowl so students don’t have to worry about getting up early the next day. If the Patriots weren’t in the Super Bowl the school should call a two hour delay, so that those who watched this major event can get some extra sleep.

The Super Bowl tends to be longer then most NFL games because of the halftime show. With the added time of the Halftime show, and with extra long commercial breaks, the Super Bowl event could last longer than three to four hours.

As a student who follows football and is extremely excited for the Super Bowl, I plan on going out to watch the game. I do plan on staying out for a while, especially if the Patriots win. Westford Academy should implement some form of holiday so that Faculty and Students can get either the day off or a two hour delay to catch up on their sleep.