Boys’ Hockey pulls out win

By Ben Walker 

The Boys’ Hockey team defeated Waltham High School in their home opener on Thursday, January 8 with a final score of 1-0.

The Ghosts gather around their net prior to puck drop. Photo by: Madie Blais
The Ghosts gather around their net prior to the puck drop. Photo taken by: Madie Blais

The game started off with an early man-advantage for Waltham but WA eventually killed it off. Throughout the first period, both teams traded off a few scoring chances but there were no goals. In the final minutes of the period, Waltham started to apply some pressure, but it did not result in any goals.

In the first few minutes of the second period WA got into some penalty trouble. Waltham went on a two man-advantage for a little over a minute, but Westford killed these penalties off.

Waltham seemed to have the advantage for the first chunk of the period and had a good chance to score with about six minutes left when there was a scramble for the puck in front of Westford’s net. However, senior David Lowe would force a whistle and cover the puck up.

With five minutes left in the period, WA got their first man-advantage of the game. They had a few good chances to score and would have a few more in the final three minutes of the period but still nobody found the back of the net.

WA crashes the net to try and put in the rebound Photo by: Madie Blais
WA tries to keep a Waltham player away from their net Photo by: Madie Blais

The third period started off with early penalties for both sides. Then again with eight minutes left in the game, WA went on another man-advantage. This time however, junior Anthony Gulliver would find the back of the net, ending the scoreless tie with assists from seniors Joey Schultz and Andrew Gounaris.

Waltham made one last push and ended up pulling their goaltender in the closing minutes. However Lowe would keep his shutout intact, giving Westford the victory.

Westford will host Hingham on December 10 at 2:30. Head coach Bob Carpenter knows that his team has to be ready to play.

“We are going to have to play a very complete game in order to beat them.” said Carpenter. “We are looking forward to it.”