Yao leads by example

By Ellie Smith
Features Editor

Gliding through the water, Justin Yao consistently displays an ability to perform at a top level at every swim meet and has mastered the skills required to complete the breaststroke, butterfly and other difficult strokes. His ability to lead by example is what makes him stand out among others on the team.

“Justin is always so consistent for us. Throughout his four years on the team he has performed as one of our top swimmers in the breaststroke, butterfly, individual medley, and relay events,” said Coach Caitlin Klick. “Justin is a quiet leader, who always sets a good example for his teammates.  He is one of those people who does it all, but does it all so well.”

Yao during a race last year.
Yao during a race last year.

Yao started swimming at the age of six when he began swimming on the town team when he was young. However, it wasn’t until sixth grade that Yao began to swim in a more competitive league when he joined the USA swim club. This year will be his sixth year swimming as apart of the club team.

“My parents suggested that I take swimming to a more competitive level and that’s when I joined the USA team,” said Yao.

Along with his club team, Yao has participated in swimming on the swim team at WA since his freshman year and is now a captain for his senior year.

His favorite strokes are breast stroke and freestyle. During meets, he sometimes swims in the individual medley event where the swimmer completes four different strokes including butterfly, breast stroke, back strong, and freestyle.

Yao also participates in other activities at WA including band, orchestra and math team. He has played the trombone since fifth grade, including all four years of high school.

When he was younger, Yao tried multiple sports including baseball and basketball in recreational leagues. However, swimming was the sport that he most enjoyed, so he decided to continue to pursue an interest in the sport.

Yao enjoys the team aspect of the sport and how the team constantly encourages each other to improve their skills.

“I like meeting the community of swimmers,” said Yao. “We really like to help encourage each other. It can get competitive, but we don’t look down on each other, we help each other instead. It’s a kind of working environment where the team comes together and it’s a really nice environment to work hard in.”

Yao’s teammates feel that he is a supportive teammate who helps to encourage the team and calm everyone’s nerves before a meet.

“Justin’s an awesome co-captain,” said senior co-captain Akhi Samant. “He brings a sense of calm to the team; he doesn’t ever seem nervous for any race and is the first to cheer you up after you don’t perform the way you want to.”

Yao has been looking at mostly schools that are know for technology including MIT and Gerorgia Tech. He is also considering schools like Princeton, Yale and Carnegie Mellon.

Though he is currently undecided on his major for college, he is thinking about a possible career in math or technology. Yao is unsure as to whether he wants to continue to swim competitively after high school. However, his main focus in college is the academics.

“It really depends on the school that I decide on, but I mainly want to focus on my academics as well,” said Yao.

Yao’s most memorable moment as a swimmer was when the team at WA won the DCL championship last year and hopes to work towards winning the DCL championship again this season.

“This year, I look forward to winning the DCL championships again and possibly sectionals and states,” said Yao.

Next year, co-captain Samant will miss his sense of humor and ability to help others on the team improve by encouraging them.

“What I’ll miss about him is definitely his friendship,” said Samant. “He’s a real help in and out of the pool and has certainly pushed me and every other swimmer to be a better athlete and is there for you during a bad practice, race, or meet.”