WA Graduate to Librarian; Susan Harde

By Leah Bowness

In the library, the newest face is Westford Academy alumna Susan Harde. She graduated from WA in 1986. In her high school career she saw tragedy, a different school and a terrible class.

Harde was most affected by the tragic explosion of the Space Shuttle Challenger on January 28, 1986. According to Harde, she remembers viewing the event on a television in a WA classroom.

“I can vividly remember how shocked and horrified we all were,” said Harde.

This event took place at 9:37 a.m. right in the beginning of the school day. It was a day she has yet to forget. The tragedy did in no way define her high school career as she participated in yearbook, and according to Harde, she was “always busy.”

The difference she sees in the school is not a new location, like Ms. Stowe, but rather the impressive renovations that have taken place since her graduation.

One of the renovations she observes every school day is that the library has increased in size and more windows have been put in.

“The library is certainly more spacious and inviting,” said Harde.

Along with library renovations, there have been improvements to the PAC and major technological updates. According to Harde, the television broadcasted announcements and the online newspaper are new since she attended WA.

The fact that everybody enters high school with a great understanding of the keyboard is also new. Students now begin learning how to type as young as 4th grade. Back when she was here, there was a class offered called Typing 101.

“It was sheer torture for me,” admitted Harde.

Unfortunately, Harde was unwilling to release her maiden name, and finding a high school picture is impossible with the number of Susan’s in the class of ’86. It is evident from the yearbooks, available in the school library, that she graduated with Mr. James Antonelli and Michael Towers’ brother Daniel Towers.