Snow Place Like Nashoba Valley

By Kayla Chavier

Ending the season of spooky hay rides and terrifying characters, the winter season has commenced at Nashoba Valley Ski area.  After hosting Witches Woods, the staff at Nashoba Valley is preparing to welcome skiers and snowboarders of all ages. The following activities are what Nashoba will be offering for the 2014-2015 season.

IMG_04771. Become a Ski and Snowboard instructor!

An informational meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 11th at 7:00 pm in the main base lodge of Nashoba Valley for students who are interested in becoming ski or snowboard instructors. Nashoba Valley is found on 79 Powers Rd, Westford MA. Prior knowledge of instructing is not required.  However, interested students should know how to skiing or snowboard. This process will help students improve their own skill and learn how to teach others.  In order to be employed, students must also pass a skiing and practical exam on the snow.  This meeting will answer any questions about the upcoming season, and students can drop off applications.  An online application can be accessed on this link.  If students miss this informational meeting, applications will still be accepted later.

2. Other Jobs

If students are not interested in becoming an instructor, there are other options for working at Nashoba.  Students can work at the ski-school desk and information center, the rental building, or at the snack bar.  In addition, a job fair will be held on November 22nd. It will provide details about all the jobs at Nashoba.IMG_0474

3. Tubing Park
Grab some friends and visit a popular part of Nashoba: the tubing park. Here, people of all ages can enjoy the snow without needing to know how to ski or snowboard. Rates per person and group rates can be accessed here.

4. Bewi Ski and Snowboard Expo

This event is far away from Westford, but it is worth the trip.  In Boston, from November 13th to 16th, the Bewi Ski and Snowboard Expo will be taking place at the Seaport World Trade Center.  Students and people of all ages can attend this event to learn about different ski areas, including Nashoba. Booths will be available to distribute pamphlets and inform interested skiers and snowboarders about what each location offers.  The times and location are as follows:

Times:

Thursday, November 13 – 3pm to 10pm
Friday, November 14 – 3pm to 10pm
Saturday, November 15 – 10am to 8pm
Sunday, November 16 – 10am to 6pm

Location:

200 Seaport Blvd
Boston, MA 02210 
800-440-3318

. December Specials

During the month of December, there will be a package available for people beginning to learn how to ski or snowboard.  The package is a three week tutorial for people of all ages. To sign up, call 978-692-3033.  In addition, $50 can be taken off of select passes if they are purchased before December 7th.

Area for people beginning to learn how to ski or snowboard.

5. New Years Celebration

To celebrate New Years, Nashoba will be featuring late skiing hours and fireworks!  Skiing will be open until 11:30 pm, and tubing will be open until 11:00.  To beginning the new year, fireworks will be ignited at midnight.

6. January Specials

For those who have New Year’s resolutions to learn how to ski or snowboard, six week lesson programs will begin the first week of January.  Space is limited, so people interested can view prices and sign up here.

7. Looking for a Challenge?

On February 15th, 2015, Nashoba will be hosting the Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge.  Registration for the race begins at 8:00 am and the race starts at 11:00 am.  Prizes will be distributed to worthy participants of all ages. View a preview of the event.

8. Pond Skim

Finishing the season, skiers and snowboarders can sign up for the annual March pond skimming and barbecue. Participants can dress up in 60s attire and attempt to impress judges by crossing a pond. Students under 18 must sign a release form before participating.  Registration is at 10:00 am, BBQ at 11:00 am, and the pond skimming event is from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm.