Is your house a trick or treat?

By John Devereaux
WABC Liaison

As Halloween approaches, many students are getting ready to dress up for this holiday, whether it’s going trick or treating or just going out with friends. Kids will be running around from house to house, trying to get as much candy before their parents tell them it’s time to head home. Here, we have some of the better places to go in Westford to maximize candy potential, and some tips to make your house the best one on the block.

The best places in Westford to go trick or treating are the more compacted areas in town. Starting with the Nabnasset area, this part of town has plenty of potential for kids to receive the most candy. The area around Nabnasset school including streets such as Elm St., Fir Rd., and Coolidge Ave. have houses that are closer to each other than any other part of the town. Although Nabnasset is a great place to go trick or treating,  it also has many main roads that should be avoided, such as Plain Rd. and Brookside Rd.

Another area that should be looked into is Hitchingpost. This is a nice neighborhood with many side roads and no main roads. This area in town is near the Robinson elementary school, and has great potential for getting the best kind of candy.

If you want trick or treaters to come to your home, then your home should be decorated from end to end. The more decorations  you have, the more praise you will get from participants. Whether your decorations are cheesy or high end, the more decorated it is the more attention it will receive. A house that has multiple attractions can be easily located by parents and especially by kids.

To be the best house on the block on Halloween you must give out the best candy. Kids love halloween, especially for the candy. If you give a kid a small piece of candy you will get very small praise. Having full size bars of candy, or even giving multiple pieces to each trick or treater will give the kids wide eyes, and they will definitely spread the word about your house.

Another good tip is that you should keep your main door open and your screen door shut. This makes it so that the kids know that you are home. It is also recommend that you keep your lights on at the door, and if you have outside lights to keep those on as well. This will show the parents and kids that you are still handing out candy.

If you have a long driveway or a great amount of steps leading to your front door then you shouldn’t have the kids walking up the whole way. You should either be at the beginning of your driveway or steps to hand out the candy. This also goes along the lines of if you do not use your front door. If you use another door, make sure it is indicated to people so they do not get confused.

And the last helpful tip, if your the one handing out the candy to the kids then you should some enthusiasm, and dish out the candy with a great attitude, while being polite. This will give a good presentation of your home during Halloween.

With all of these tips, your kids will surely score the most candy come Halloween night, and you will be the most visited house on the block.