Mattinson cheers and flips

By Ellie Smith
Features Editor

As a child, senior Nick Mattinson loved jumping on the trampoline in his back yard, spending long periods of time doing flips and having the time of his life. Then when he moved to a new house that didn’t have a trampoline, he had always missed that aspect of his life.

Now in high school, Mattinson decided to join the gymnastics and cheerleading teams to get back into doing what he loved as a child.

“I’ve wanted to do tumbling since I was really young. I had a trampoline when I was younger and then I moved and I didn’t have a trampoline anymore, so  I have been missing that part of my life,” said Mattinson.

photo 2
Mattinson with cheerleaders for the New England Patriots.

Mattinson began participating in gymnastics during his sophomore year and did not start cheerleading until the beginning of his junior year.

His main motivation for joining gymnastics was his enjoyment for tumbling ever since he was young. Though cheerleading involves tumbling, he never considered participating in cheerleading until one of his friends suggested it to him.

“I joined gymnastics for the tumbling and I joined cheerleading because a friend of mine talked me into doing it, but now I love it,” said Mattinson.

Mattinson also enjoys gymnastics because it keeps him in good shape. His favorite part of cheerleading is his one man stunts with the girls on the team.

“I like gymnastics because of the tumbling and it keeps me fit,” said Mattinson. “I like cheerleading because of the co-ed one man stunts, which is just me lifting the girls up by myself and that’s kind of fun.”

Because he is a boy on the girls’ gymnastics team, Nick is limited to the events that both boys and girls participate in, which are floor and vault. His favorite event is vault because he has worked hard to achieve the skills that it takes to excel in the event.

Many of Mattinson’s teammates have noticed his enthusiasm and love how he is constantly giving encouragement to the other members of the team.

“Nick really supports us and he brings a positive attitude to the team. He is also determined to do well which is very admirable,” said senior and fellow gymnast Jackie Beals. 

Senior gymnast Sydney Pouliopoulos has noticed his ability to fit into the team well and will miss competing along side him next year.

“He’s a fast learner, and fits into the team really well,” said Pouliopoulos. “It’s going to be so weird not being able to compete with him next year. He is always one of the first one to be smiling at practice, and give advice, and encouragement.” 

Mattinson’s work ethic and love for the sport makes him stand out, and his enthusiasm often motivates other members of the team to put in their best effort.

“He brings a good work ethic that motivates the whole team. I think we will all miss his enthusiasm and love for the sport,” said sophomore teammate Hailey Coulter.  

Varsity cheerleading coach Tamara Hayes admires Mattinson’s ability to put others before himself and show a true understanding of what being on a team is all about.

“Nick’s set of strong values and maturity set him aside from most other athletes that I’ve coached,” said Hayes. “His ability to put everybody on the team before him proves that he understands that he is part of a team, and he is committed to helping the team win, regardless of his individual role. He has really brought an unexplainable amount of motivation to this team.” 

He is looking forward to going to nationals for cheerleading this year and hopes to be able to participate in both cheerleading and gymnastics at the national competition.

“If we go to nationals, I am hoping to be a bonafide athlete, which means I can be both a cheerleader and a gymnast at the same time. You have to ask permission from both the coaches and the sports director,” said Mattinson.

With his senior year in full swing, Mattinson has began to think about the future and where he wants to go to college in the near future.

Just after graduating high school, Mattinson plans to go on a mission trip that any people over the age of 18 that are a part of the church can attend. Of the mission, they share the gospel of the church to others and set aside all worldly things such as phones or computers while enlightening people about the church.

“I am planning on going on my mission as soon as I graduate high school and once I am finished, I will return home to hop right into college life,” he said.

Mattinson was recently approached to audition for an International Cheer team, however he has decided not to participate because his religion is more important to him.

“I was recommended by the head coach himself to audition for his international cheer team but I recognize that my religion is more important to me so I am deciding to go on my Mission rather than cheering for the international cheer team,” Mattinson.

Because his love for cheerleading has grown over the past two years, Mattinson is planning to cheerlead in college. He is considering majoring in either chemistry or physics at Brigham Young University in Hawaii, Idaho, Utah or the University of Utah. However, the University of Utah is his top choice at the moment.

“I am looking forward to graduating at the end of the year. I’m really excited for college,” said Mattinson.