Meeting Kerry Webster

By Madison Blais

photo
Webster is a new teacher in the english department this year.

Kerry Webster has taken over for Megan Oelerich, an english teacher who is currently on maternity leave. It is Ms. Webster’s first year working at WA.

Q: How long have you been teaching?

A: I’ve been teaching in different ways for about three years. I started substituting, then I worked at the college level, then at the middle school level, and now I’m here at the high school.

Q: Where else have you worked beside Westford?

A: I was substituting in Wellesley and in Lexington, and then I worked in Waltham.

Q: What grades do you teach right now?

A: Right now I teach ninth and tenth grade.

Q: What made you want to be a teacher?

A: I love helping students, and I love helping people grow and learn what they need to be a well-rounded person.

Q: Did you always want to be a teacher?

A: I always knew I wanted to work with students, but I wasn’t 100% sure I wanted to be a teacher until I realized that I missed working with students who were younger than college age.

Q: Did you always want to be an English teacher or were you thinking of teaching another subject?

A: Yeah, I always loved English. English was always the subject that came most easily to me in school, even when I was in middle school and elementary school, it was always the easiest subject and I always really connected with it, so that was definitely the subject that I knew I wanted to teach.

Q: What do you do outside of school?

A: I love to travel, I love to go to the beach, which sadly will be coming to an end soon since its almost fall, and I love spending time with my friends and family.

Q: How does WA compare to past schools you have worked at?

A: I like it a lot, I would say it’s different teaching high school, the students are much more mature and independent than middle school, much more similar to when I taught in college.

Q: Do you like WA better than the other schools you’ve taught at?

A: Yes, I love working at WA…the students and the teachers have been very welcoming.