Hesseltine succeeds at lax

By Ellie Smith
Features Editor

Sprinting up the field, carefully controlling the ball in the pocket of his stick, Ryan Hesseltine demonstrates pristine speed and skill all in one as he continues to consistently score goal after goal during each game.

Hesseltine works the ball up the field during the Division I North Semifinal game.

A senior this year, Hesseltine has been playing lacrosse ever since sixth grade and has gone on to play throughout his high school career, including playing the last three years on varsity. He enjoys the competitiveness and speed of the sport.

“It’s a fun, very fast sport. I enjoyed it from the second I started,” said Hesseltine.

After playing baseball at a young age and realizing he did not enjoy it, he decided to try playing lacrosse and liked the sport so much, he continued to play.

Hesseltine has committed to Saint Anselm College to play lacrosse. Though he does not  know exactly what he wants to do following his college career, he has decided to major in business when he starts school in the fall.

Hesseltine always knew he wanted to play a sport in college, whether it be hockey or lacrosse, but ultimately decided on lacrosse when he was recruited by Saint Anselm College to play. He decided on the college because he was recruited by them to play lacrosse and he enjoyed the school when he visited the campus.

“They were one of the schools that recruited me for lacrosse,” said Hesseltine. “When I went and visited [the school], I just liked everything about it.”

Ryan’s quickness to make plays whether it’s on restarts, his feeds or taking it to the net by himself really makes him stand out.

-Ryan McNabb

Junior Ryan McNabb has known Hesseltine his entire life, having grown up next door to each other, and have played together for the past three years.

“Ryan’s quickness to make plays whether it’s on restarts, his feeds or taking it to the net by himself really makes him stand out. He is a role model for me after playing attack with him this year,” said McNabb. “I know he will be very successful at St.A’s and I wish him the best of luck.”

Junior Shane Kilday has been playing with Hesseltine for the past five years and feels that he stands out because of his determination to involve everyone on the field.

“What makes him stand out is his his ability to make everyone around him shine,” said Kilday. “He hustles for ground balls and [puts in] a lot of hard work plays; that really mean a lot to the team.”

Other than lacrosse, Hesseltine also plays soccer and hockey, sports which he has been playing since he was around five years old. He played varsity soccer for three years and varsity hockey for three years as well, though he does not plan to continue playing soccer or hockey in college.

Outside of sports, Hesseltine also participated in DECA throughout his high school career.

Senior goalie Peter Hargrave has been playing with Hesseltine ever since he can remember and feels that his high lacrosse IQ and leadership skills allow him to shine on the field.

“I think that his lacrosse IQ really separates him from other players,” said Hargrave. “He’s a great leader in the offense and he is incredibly smart with the ball.”

Though Hesseltine is excited to move forward playing lacrosse during his college career, he will miss Westford Academy and the memories he has made during his time playing with the soccer, hockey and lacrosse teams.

“I’ll miss the teams I was on and all the memories I had while playing for those teams,” said Hesseltine.