Varsity Softball bests Wayland on senior night

Morgan Ross at bat for the Ghosts.

By Tim DeLouchrey
Sports Liaison

The Wayland Warriors traveled to Westford Friday afternoon at 4:00 PM for WA’s last home softball game of the year. The Ghosts took advantage of senior day and achieved an incontrovertible 15-2 win over Wayland.

Senior Alexa Sullivan finished with two home runs in her final game at Westford Academy.

“We played really well as a team and it was great to go out on such a good home game,” said Sullivan.

The game opened with Wayland getting a quick two run home run to open the game. WA retired the following batters and went into the bottom of the first down 2-0.

Ross chases down a ground ball in the outfield.

Sophomore Kayla Murphy led off for WA and hit a triple in her first at bat. While she was still on base, Sullivan hit a home run of her own, tying the game back up for WA.

Wayland got out of the first inning without any more damage, but it all went down hill for the Warriors from there. Senior Christine Raymond retired the top three batters for Wayland to start the second. When they got up to bat, sophomore Hannah Chateauneuf scored on an error by Wayland.

Wayland’s first three batters were retired once again in the third inning, granting WA another appearance at bat. The third inning was the turning point in this contest, as it opened with WA scoring three straight runs off of three Wayland errors.

Sophomore Olivia Antonelli and junior Ally Mooney batted in two more runs before the Ghosts’ run came to an end.

Wayland attempted to respond in the fourth inning, quickly loading the bases. Raymond however, stayed confident, and eventually struck out the final Wayland batter. WA came out of the inning without allowing another run.

Coach Burr talks to the team after the game.

The bottom of the fourth proved to be just as beneficial for WA as the bottom of third. Junior Morgan Ross, along with Mooney, batted in three more WA runs. Senior Emily Chateauneuf also contributed with a three run home run. After the fourth, WA held a commanding 15-2 lead.

At the beginning of the fifth inning, WA’s seniors were replaced by the team’s underclassmen. Applause poured in from the bleachers, as WA fans applauded the girls’ final performance at home.

“I’m glad they could get this last home win for themselves,” said junior catcher Kayleigh McHugh.

The girls will travel to Weston for their next game on Monday, May 12th. They are currently 9-6 and need one more win to clinch the playoffs.

“We aren’t looking past the next game. Once we get that, then we will focus on the playoff games,” said head coach Peter Burr.

Raymond on the pitching mound for WA.