WA evacuated due to bomb threat

WA was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

By Kathleen McAleese & Ethan Walshe
Managing Editor & Editor-in-Chief

UPDATE: At approximately 3:15 p.m. this afternoon, principal Jim Antonelli issued a letter determining the Westford Academy building to be safe.

WA will remain closed this evening as a precautionary measure and regularly scheduled classes will resume tomorrow morning.

The Westford Police Department is continuing its investigation.

From 12:58 p.m.

Today, May 6, Westford Academy was evacuated  following a bomb threat which was written on a boys’ bathroom wall, according to Superintendent Bill Olsen.

The information about the initial threat was reportedly brought to administration’s attention by a student.

In a letter posted on the WA Website, principal Jim Antonelli informed parents and the student body that there would be an early dismissal beginning at 12:15. He went on to explain that “some information […] specific in nature” appeared on the previously mentioned bathroom wall and thus warranted a school-wide dismissal.

Antonelli went on to note that Westford Academy takes all threats of this nature very seriously.

A message was sent out to parents and teachers at approximately 11:50 this morning informing them of the early release.

Antonelli followed up on the intercom during A Block saying that there would be an early dismissal following the end of the period which was scheduled to end at 12:05.

By approximately 12:30 p.m. the Westford Police and Fire Departments had entered the building and began their search, according to local news outlet the Westford Eagle.

No AP exams were effected by the dismissal, as none were scheduled for the afternoon session.

Westford Academy went on to cancel all sporting and co-curricular events that were scheduled for this afternoon.

For further updates, consult the Ghostwriter Twitter and Facebook pages.