Book exchange meets WA

Gallagher hopes to ensure no student need ever buy a summer reading book again.

By Kathleen McAleese
Managing Editor

Summer reading books are not on too many students’ minds right now, and understandably so, as it is only March. But for one student, repurposing and exchanging summer reading books is her new project. Jes Gallagher is a junior at Westford Academy and has just embarked on a mission to eliminate the excess books bought and never read again over summer vacation in the high school.

Every year, according to Gallagher, students at WA alone will buy up to 2,000 summer reading books, one for each student in CP and two purchased for Honors and AP English students. Her observation earned the attention of the Environmental Club which seeks to lessen the negative human impact left upon the world through careless disposal of items to promoting reusable products, and now even books.

Gallagher’s goal is to save books and save money. The project began at home with her mother, where the question of what to do with old books arose. This question is logical; many students have accumulated a lofty collection of books that they will never read again, and may not give away.

“Summer reading books are not usually the top of people’s minds, but we could save a lot of books each year,” said Gallagher. “We had summer reading books from freshman year until now and we were trying to figure out what to do with them […] So it would be nice to pass it down.”

Her plan is simple. Gallagher is setting up boxes around the school in which she hopes students will donate their used summer reading books that will then be offered to other students via a bookshelf in the library. Each year, the pot of books will grow as books are donated or returned, hopefully ending with no WA student having to purchase a new book every summer.

Starting by getting her initiative approved by Principal James Antonelli, Gallagher then sought funding from the Rotary Club, getting about $200 to put toward buying boxes to collect books in, now located in English classrooms and the library. In conjunction with librarians and the Environmental Club, Gallagher has gained support and helping hands.

“Ideally in a couple years, we will have enough for nobody to have to buy their book, really. Hopefully it will grow each year,” she said.

Through making flyers and through the support of the English department, and Environmental club, the word is getting around about and boxes are filling up. There is now a book shelf in the library for any student to come in and get a book for next year’s requirements. It is currently on a first come, first serve basis as there are not enough books circulating for every student to borrow their books for the summer.

Advisor of the Environmental Club Rebecca Ingerslev has high hopes for the Book Exchange once Gallagher graduates in 2015.

“We hope to continue it and make it a permanent part of Westford Academy Culture,” said Ingerslev.