Participation in internships grows

Kai-Lou Yue and Madhumita Kaushik
Business Manager and Staff Writer

Every year, a large number of students from the senior class at WA participate in an internship, community service, or do a research project during the spring, from April 14th to May 16th. The students who take part in this program do not attend school during this time, unless they have an AP class, which they are required to be present at.

In 2003, when the internship program started,  there was less than 15 students were in the program. However, the number of students participating has grown rapidly since then with over 270 seniors doing either an internship, research project, or community service last year.

This year, according to Susan Lynch, guidance counselor and one of the two internship coordinators, numbers are expected to be the same, if not slightly higher.

“We don’t have the exact numbers yet, because some of the research projects are still being reviewed […] but the numbers should be around the same as last year, if not a little more,” said Lynch.

Guidance counselors do not feel that they have been actively pushing seniors to participate in this program, but there are programs and events which may encourage students to begin thinking about an occupation; for example, career breakfasts for the sophomore and junior classes.

“I know that there is a job search that’s in Naviance […] So that might be an option. I think the junior job shadow day is something that kind of gets them started and gets them thinking. I think our career breakfast is something that starts getting people thinking about what they might want to do,” said health teacher Melanie Jozokos, who has been the advisor for many seniors on internships.

In addition to the job search program in Naviance and the career breakfast for sophomores, junior job shadow day annually sparks the hunt for internships and offers ideas for incoming seniors.

For an internship to be approved by the committee, the student must meet attendance and discipline requirements, and at least a 70 for his or her third-quarter average is required. Perhaps another reason for the recent, dramatic increase in participation is peer pressure.

“I definitely know that a lot of my friends are planning to leave so I didn’t want to stay here by myself,” said senior Hannah Hackley.

As for how the internships themselves are chosen,  “I think it’s largely based on interest,” said Jozokos.

Internships are a huge part of the senior’s year and the participation in which has been increasing over the years, providing students with a glance into professional.