Rec Ball playoffs: Results and predictions

By Tim DeLouchrey and John Devereaux
Sports Liaison and WABC Liaison

Rec Ball playoffs started this week. Here are the results.

Thunder 55 — 59 Blazers

John Devereaux (Thunder) – 34

Brian Uram (Blazers) – 16

Sam Libby/Jack Underhill (Blazers) – 14

Sonics 48 — 31 Warriors

Nick Mizzoni (Sonics) – 24

Zach Reid (Sonics) – 11

Kevin Roder (Warriors) – 8

Bucks 52 — 51 Suns

Luc Lebleu (Bucks) – 22

Tristan St. Martin (Suns) – 22

Kevin Shen (Suns) – 11

Nets 52 — 54 Jazz OT

Anthony Cusano (Nets) – 16

Andy Dunn (Jazz) – 15

Sean Coppinger (Jazz) – 13

Mavs 43 — 41 Clippers

Dan Bodi (Mavs) – 20

Connor Burke (Clippers) – 16

Ryan Semeter (Mavs) – 10

Heat 60 — 37 Celtics

Nick Mariano (Heat) – 32

Pat Caviston (Celtics) – 13

Mitch Mondro (Celtics) – 8

T’Wolves 46 — 66 Magic

Andrew Clark (Magic) – 25

Kyle Auger (T’Wolves) – 18

Matt Tabor (Magic) – 16

Knicks 48 — 59 Rockets

Matt McGorty (Rockets) – 19

Drew Leblanc (Knicks) – 17

Josh Sawyer (Rockets) – 13

Next week’s matchups and predictions:

Blazers vs. Sonics- The Sonics beat the Warriors in a big 17 point win. The game’s leading scorer was senior Nick Mizzoni, scoring 24 points. This team’s defense showed that even the toughest teams can struggle on offense against them. The Blazers had an impressive win against the high scoring Thunder. Sam Libby and Jack Underhill each had 14 points in their win. Their pass game is good, but their defense can be questionable. They allowed junior John Devereaux (Thunder) score 26 points in the first half and 34 all game. If they want to beat the dominate Sonics they must play tight defense throughout the game. The Sonics are heavy favorites in this match up.

Blazers 45 — 53 Sonics

Jazz vs. Bucks- At this point the Bucks are considered to be one of the bottom teams remaining in the playoffs. They had an unimpressive win in the first round over the lowly Suns and did not look like a team capable of making a run. That being said, they did demonstrate resilience and quality execution at the end of their game to squeeze out a victory. The Jazz on the other hand, have been a force all season long. Like the Bucks, they endured a tight first round match up, and displayed stunning execution down the stretch of their overtime victory.

Prediction: Jazz 55 — 49 Bucks

Mavs vs. Heat– The Heat are led by senior Nick Mariano who scored 32 points in their last game against the mediocre Celtics team. They were an inconsistent team during the regular season. This team did not have big man Jake Schladenhauffen at the game, but it didn’t slow them down in their 23 point win. The Mavericks led by Senior Matt Cadiero, who had a slow game last Sunday, managed to beat the lackluster Clippers by two points. This team isn’t as highly favored as the Jazz or the Supersonics, but can probably pull an upset if everyone plays well. During the season the Mavericks have had some questionable losses against the T’Wolves and the Clippers, but backed them up with good wins against the Thunder, Magic, and the Nets. The Heat are a solid pick to win this game.

Prediction: Mavericks 42 — 58 Heat

Rockets vs. Magic- The Rockets have been the most consistently inconsistent team all season long. When they’re on a roll, they’re hard to stop, as evidenced by their win over the high powered Knicks. Josh Sawyer and Matt McGourty proved to be the dynamic duo they are capable of, and along with the help of a strong supporting cast, the Rockets look ready to make a deep run. The Magic struggled for the first half of their season, but turned the corner around the mid-season point. Senior Andrew Clark is a force on both ends, but cannot win playoff games by himself. Sophomore Matt Tabor stepped it up last game, cashing in on two 3-pointers on his way to a 16 point outing. Even if another player steps it up against the Rockets, the Magic’s chances to win are still slim to none.

Prediction: Rockets 66 — 49 Magic