Front Crawl to Championships

By Kyle Auger
Editor-in-Chief

An all-star team may be the best way to describe the swimming and diving team at Westford Academy. The long-standing records of the past were tossed aside, and the team filled with college recruits, 15 DCL All-stars, and other standouts were crowned state champions. Another staggering figure was that 9 members of the team were considered for All-American status.

The girls’ team captains with the state trophy

The girls’ team finished their season with a 9-0 record, and the boys’, 10-0, with a perfect record in dual meets. Both teams came in second place at the North Sectional Championships, with the boys coming in second in the Division I  state championships, and the girls were crowned state champions in the top division for the third consecutive year.

“It was really rewarding to be able to finish off our season, and for our seniors, their high school careers with a win, everyone on the team works so hard and our coach has put in so much time and dedication to build the team,” said senior Grace Gosselin.

The team really hit their stride at the end of the year, with a dominant performance at the state meet.  They won five out of the eight individual events, as well as two out of the three relay events. The team finished 2nd in the 200 meter medley relay in their first race, two standouts were junior Brian Poon and freshman Jason Jung.

Poon was the state champion in the 200 meter individual medley state champion, he also garnered the state championship in the 500 meter freestyle. Jung was equally successful, winning in the 100 meter freestyle, as well as the 200 meter freestyle.

“We will finally have a banner up in the gym. […] It was a great way to end the regular season. I could not be more proud of my teammates, ” said senior Henry Jiang.

As previously stated, the relay teams took care of their competition as well.  They even broke the state record in the 400 meter freestyle relay and won the 200 freestyle.

“Nineteen out of the twenty-two swimming school records were broken in 2014.  Every boys swimming school record was broken.” said coach Caitlin McHugh.

After a season that maybe considered the best in the team’s history, everyone in and around the team have begun to look to the future, the senior class is strong, but the team definitely has potential to continue their success.

“The fact that this is my last season is very sad of course. […] Fortunately we had a great last season to finish off our high school careers strong and along with that came endless memories that will remain will me forever,”  said senior Mara Tynan.

Like Tynan, some of the seniors on the team will be continuing their athletic career at the college level. Senior Tori Weinstock has committed to Connecticut College, Tynan will go on to dominate the pool at Washington and Lee University, Marrkand will join the University of Virginia Cavaliers, as well as Courtney Martin, who will swim at Loyola University in Maryland.

“I am so proud of the season that our swimmers and divers were able to put together.  Our senior captains Jen Marrkand, Tori Weinstock, Courteney Martin, Henry Jiang, and Chris Pandiscio were outstanding.  Marrkand won both the 200 yard individual medley and 100 yard backstroke in state record times.  We also had two relays record the fastest times in Massachusetts history […] This group of athletes has raised the bar, not only in Westford, but around the state,” said McHugh.