Adderall use expands

An adderall capsule.

By Tim DeLouchrey

Sports Liaison

Students across the country consume illegal drugs every day. It is a significant problem that is likely never going to be stopped completely. However, that does not mean that the spread of these drugs can not be slowed down. Administration knows just as well as students that ADD medication such as adderall has become a consistent problem.

There are three reasons students take Adderall.  The first, is perfectly legal and acceptable. Students with ADD or ADHD consume Adderall because it actually helps them focus. These students have a prescription to take these drugs, making it legal for them to do so.

What many students do not understand about the drug, is that it only helps those who actually have ADD. If a student does not have the disorder, Adderall does not help them to focus, and instead produces other effects. The second reason a student may be tempted to try Adderall, is because they are unaware of this, and will use it to help them focus.

In the midst of midterm season, many students will experiment with the drug to help them stay up late and focus to help better prepare themselves for tests. This is a major misconception, as it does not actually help them. This method of consumption is highly illegal due to the fact that these consumers do not have a prescription. In order to get adderall without a prescription, it must be bought off of a student who takes the medicine regularly. These pills can cost anywhere from five dollars to twenty-five dollars.

The third reason that Adderall is taken, is to be snorted or consumed in a way besides taking it by mouth. This gives the user a high similar to other drugs, and is dangerous long term and short term, not to mention it’s also illegal.

Due to the desire to illegally consume such drugs, students who have ADD and use the drugs appropriately are often put in tough situation.

Adderall is becoming a fad, and the desire for it is very high. If a student has ADD, it is very likely they will be asked to sell it to people without prescriptions.

“If someone asks me to sell it to them and I know they have plans to snort it, I say I ran out,” said a Westford Academy student, who requested to be anonymous.

Being on property with these drugs is intimidating. The good news is, that is not allowed, giving students who do not want to sell their drugs a good excuse for not having them. According to the student handbook and multiple sources, all drugs that students are required to take regularly are to be kept at the nurses office, and not in the hands of the students. However, this seems to be a rule often broken.

“It’s actually really easy to get,” said a second anonymous source.

The flaw in this policy is that most students do not take it during the day, and instead take it at home before school. This is a problem because adderall requires one to take it with food. Most students in high school are often rushing out the door in the morning and not eating breakfast. A student with ADD would then be required to wait until after they eat lunch to consume the drug, and they would therefore have it on them for a majority of the day.

Another thing that presents a potential problem is that many parents do not closely monitor their child’s use of the drug. A student could potentially have their pills on them all day everyday. Without parents checking in on them, they are easily capable of distributing these drugs.

This creates an intimidating atmosphere at school and will continue to until something is done to stop it.

According to the first anonymous student, “You just have to say no and walk away.”