Hockey reaches stalemate

By Kyle Auger
Editor-in-Chief

Exciting, offensive, and ultimately frustrating are words that all describe the Boys’ Varsity hockey game Saturday, with the team ending in a 1-1 tie with Chelmsford, leaving their record at 2-1-2.

Westford Academy struck within the first two minutes of the game with a short-handed goal by sophomore Anthony Gulliver and all of the sudden the game took a turn in their favor.

Seniors Cam MacDonald and Tim Curran

The scoring however, quickly halted as the game got into a rhythm. Throughout the rest of the first and second period, the offense on both sides became heavily focused on dumping and chasing, and there was limited possession time in the Chelmsford defensive end and the game lived in the middle of the ice.

The game also became sloppy; turnovers were common on attempted fastbreaks, and at the same time so were penalties. Both sides committed tripping penalties in the first period, with another penalty, this on captain Jay Drapeau in the second. The sloppiness led to limited chances but both goaltenders stopped all of the work they had received in the second period, keeping the game flowing.

The third period ushered in cleaner play, and suddenly the puck was bouncing around wildly in front of the Westford Academy net, with Chelmsford and Westford players slapping at it at a frantic pace. The crowd was in a frenzy but could finally exhale as the puck ricocheted wide left, however, the Ghosts conceded another penalty, this on sophomore Alex Flanagan. While on the penalty kill, Drapeau picked up two more minutes in the penalty box, leaving his team with three players against five.

With the five-on-three came uncertainly in the previously assured crowd. All that stood on the ice for the Ghosts between their own net and their opponent’s were three seniors. The shots came quickly but they were able to clear the first penalty getting one man back, but more offense followed, but sophomore goaltender Kyle Martin stood the strongest, not conceding a goal.

After they survived the barrage, victory looked probable for Westford. However with less then five minutes left, a long shot from the point got deflected high and clanged off post into the back of the net. In a split second a shot went from a save to a goal and the game for Westford went from a win to a tie. This would be the final score.

“We had a tough game, it really didn’t show what we are capable of doing but we will bounce back with Waltham this Wednesday,” said Gulliver.