Snow day grader: 12/18

Students woke up this morning to snowed-in driveways from Tuesday’s late evening snowfall.

By Andy Dunn

The second potential snow day of the season left students longing for a shortened school day to no avail. Once again, there was no snow day or delay for Westford Public Schools.

Students and teachers both staggered in late, with 161 tardies for the day according to administrative assistant Linda Mahoney. Compared with 77 tardies handed out last Wednesday, the line of students waiting for passes piled up this morning.

Unfortunately for students, the inclement weather came late Tuesday evening, but there was a significant amount of snow. In nearby towns, Tyngsboro reported 7.8″ and Chelmsford reported 5.3″ according to WBZ Weather.

Principal Jim Antonelli even sent out an email to students and teachers advising caution on “tough driving conditions.”

“I have received several phone calls from concerned parents regarding our local roads surrounding the high school,” wrote Antonelli. “Some of the snowbanks are hard to see around and I ask everyone to proceed with caution.”

Antonelli continued, pointing out that Hartford Road was especially narrow due to the snow banks.

At the end of the day, Superintendent Olsen’s case for a no call remains strong. The snow had stopped clearly by the morning and the roads were overall in decent condition.

While a delay may have allotted families time to shovel their driveways, it is just as plausible that students would have simply slept in and had to deal with the same exact situation when they woke up.

The chances for a snow day before holiday break look extremely low, with only a slight chance of rain expected on Friday. Still on the hunt for the first snow day of the year, students will have to look to after holiday break.

Cumulative Grading Total: B-
    December 9: C+
    December 18: B