Holiday Bazaar Holds Up Traditions

By Victoria Walker
Business Manager

It’s that time of year again, when holiday music never ceases on the radio and students are checking the weather every night for potential snow days. With the cold weather comes a host of December events and traditions, kicked off by last weekend’s WA Holiday Bazaar.

Hosting hundreds of tables occupied by student-run clubs and professional businesses, this event definitely succeeds in bringing together school and community. While the halls seemed slightly less jam-packed than they have been other years, the event still generated a great turnout, both drawing in new business and retaining long-time favorites.

“It’s a wonderful experience,” said senior Akshay Bhardwaj, who was working at the Class of 2014 table. “You see a variety of different things and get food and entertainment… I think it’s a great, friendly environment where people can interact and have a good time.”

Various factors always go into ensuring such large events are successful. This year, the generosity of the community definitely played a role. Shoppers did not pinch pennies, especially when it came to putting money towards good causes.

“I’m really happy that so many clubs here are donating to the Philippines,” said Risha Sanikommu, a senior who was working at the Red Cross table. “It’s great to see people from our community helping others.”

Likewise, the Class of 2014’s Silent Auction was able to draw in a number of donations, which were auctioned off to raise money for the grade’s senior year activities.

“From an adviser’s standpoint with the Class of 2014, I know that the officers and everyone are really thankful for all the donations that have been made,” said WA French teacher, Jennifer Conti. “Local business and families really donated a lot so that the class can earn so much money.”

“It’s a really great opportunity for the school to publicize to the community what we do here, our clubs and how people can get involved,” said Timothy Welch, WA German and French teacher and adviser for the school’s International Club.

At the same time, the Holiday Bazaar is a chance for local businesses to draw in customers from the WA community. For this reason, some vendors were less than thrilled about a new mandate, to come into action in 2014, that only hand-made crafts can be sold by outside businesses. While this should affect few people and will hopefully make room for more small-business winter crafts, it was a topic of discussion among vendors.

Christine Dion of Usborne Books worked a table normally occupied by her daughter, a WA graduate, at which primarily children’s books were being sold.

“[My daughter] is a little upset they’re not going to let us come next year, because they’re saying that now they’re only going to do crafts… handmade… A lot of people are talking about it in here,” said Dion. “So it’s a little sad to say that we won’t be here next year. Other than that we love it.”

Another vendor, who preferred to remain anonymous, agreed that the decision is unfortunate, claiming that “handmade crafts are going to do half as much business.”

He also commented that business was a bit slower this year than it has been in the past; an observation that was echoed by various others.

“I’ve had a fair amount [of business] this morning, very little this afternoon,” said Gail Flannery of Gail Flannery Fine Arts and Crafts.

“The traffic does not seem as much as it’s been in the past,” agreed Patty Linch of Princess House Giftware. “So hopefully more people are coming in. I don’t know if the weather is keeping them out or not…”

The slow traffic was hardly enough to dull anyone’s spirits, however, and the Student Council did an excellent job organizing the event.

“I’ve been here for many, many years and I’m very happy to be here,” said Linch. “[The students] do a wonderful job and the Student Council is great. The kids help bring everything in and help take everything out, which makes it a lot easier for us vender to come in.”

This help was much appreciated by other workers as well, many of whom stayed the whole day and did not get much of a chance to walk around. For those who were able to enjoy all the bazaar had to offer, however, there was no shortage of things to look at, do, or eat. Some longtime favorites included the Spanish Club nachos, French Club pain chocolate and Latin Club Caesar wraps. In addition, the event offered face-painting, live music and a chance to arrest your friends through the International Club.

“My favorite part is seeing all the different clubs and the pretty crafts,” said senior Demi Zhang, representative of the school’s Science Team and Spanish Club. “I love how [the event] brings the community together. I feel like it gets better every single year.”