Jung freestyles into WA

Jung (right) has had an easy time finding lots of friends, like Stephen Wang (Middle) and Andrew Shao (Left)

By Alok Ganguly
Public Relations

The swimmer dives into the water, and cuts through the small waves like a knife cutting through butter. As he clambers out of the pool, completing his trial run, his coach scurries up to meet him, bearing incredible news; he qualifies for States. Jason Jung, a freshman at Westford Academy, knows this feeling all too well, as he is one of the most powerful and fastest swimmers on the team.

Jason is new to the halls of WA, and only moved to Westford in the Summer from Seoul, South Korea. He is currently staying with his cousin, Hannah Jung, a junior at WA, who is looking forward to seeing her cousin’s journey.

“Having Jason in Westford will definitely help his English since he is constantly hearing it and forced to speak it. I have seen a huge improvement from when he came here in late June. Also, he has been training hard so he is bound to improve from here on out,” said Hannah.

Hannah may be two grades above Jason, but he is actually older than her. Jason is the age of a junior, at 17, but due to his impaired English ability, he is in the 9th grade.

Jason hoped to improve himself by moving to Westford, in both the academic and athletic fronts.

“I wanted to learn English well,” said Jason.

Jason belies that by being surrounded by English-speaking peers will improve his ability to communicate in English, which he has some difficulty with.

His swimming is also improving at WA, and he is already a powerhouse on the team. His setback in grades gives him a great advantage during races, and he is one of the best members of the team.

Despite his move across the world, Jason has been graciously accepted by students already.

“He is kind of like a gentle giant; it’s great having him around,” said sophomore Stephen Wang, one of Jason’s friends.