WA fights hard, falls short on Thanksgiving

By Andy Dunn & Kyle Auger
Staff Writer & Editor-in-Chief 

In the traditional Thanksgiving day football game, Westford Academy lost a hard fought, competitive game against rival Acton-Boxborough in a 15-7 battle at Alumni Field.

Defense was stingy for both teams as both offenses struggled to move the ball with continuity. WA began the game by receiving the kickoff and had a quick three-and-out series.

On AB’s first drive, the Colonials were lead by senior running back and cornerback Will Tejada. The 6’0″ 175 lb used his agility and quickness to drive the Colonials into the red zone.

The Grey Ghosts’ defense stiffened up when backed up to their goal line, driving AB back to the 17-yard line for a long 3rd and goal. From there, AB used a fake handoff to Tejada to fool the Ghosts and found an open man in the end zone for a 17-yard passing touchdown.

With a successful two-point conversion the Ghosts looked in for a long day, with the score being 8-0 with 3:16 left in the first quarter.

However, the Ghosts defense stepped up to the challenge and was able to contain Tejada for the rest of the first half.

On offense, WA had a promising drive end in disappointment in the middle of the second quarter. Senior running back Tyler Arsenault led the team down the field before losing a fumble to AB at the seven-yard line.

After halftime, the Colonials struck again with 3:23 left in the third quarter. Tejada finished the drive with a 15-yard sprint up the middle of the field into the endzone. After a successful PAT, AB held a strong 15-0 lead over WA.

The excitement for the home crowd came in the fourth quarter, when the Ghosts began to flirt with the idea of a comeback. In the middle of the fourth quarter, Senior quarterback Luke Moran threw a short completion to senior wide receiver Will Puduski, who turned up field using his athleticism for an electrifying 45-yard passing touchdown.

WA’s defense stepped up big, forcing AB into a three-and-out with less than four minutes remaining in the game. Down by 8, the Ghosts’ offense drove to the forty-yard line before facing a daunting third and 10.

On third down, Moran attempted a throw to senior wide receiver Stephen O’Brien, who was able to make the catch for an eight-yard gain after the ball was tipped by a defensive lineman of AB.

O’Brien’s reception set up a crucial fourth down with two yards to go. An outside run with a handoff to Arsenault was stuffed by AB’s defense, allowing for AB to take over possession and run out the clock.

Even in defeat, the game proved to be an entertaining crowd-pleaser on Thanksgiving, with both teams putting up a good, competitive fight.