Ghostwriter returns successful

By Lauren Cullen
Managing Editor

The Westford Academy Ghostwriter staff is returning back to WA with multiple awards for their journalistic skills.

Editors-in-Chief Abby Cianciolo and Kyle Auger, Managing Editor Kathleen McAleese, Copy Editor Craig Brinkerhoff, Features Editor Ellie Smith, Graphics Designer Jocelyn Cote, and Staff Writers Andy Dunn and Charlotte Redman all took home awards at the annual Journalism Education Association and National Scholastic Press Association Fall Conference in Boston.

The four days the staff spent in Boston were filled with competitions, workshops, and speakers that educated us on improving the quality of our publication and our individual skills as student journalists.

During the pre-convention activities held on Thursday, staff members visited various workshops and participated in competitions. Co-Editor-in-Chief Abby Cianciolo, Copy Editor Craig Brinkerhoff, and Features Editor Ellie Smith attended a writer’s workshop which taught student journalists how to improve their own writing skills to make their overall publications better.

Friday was the busiest day for our staff, with some members participating in workshops and seminars all day before going into their write-off competitions. Every staff member on the trip participated in a write-off, which varied from creating an online news package to watching and reviewing a performance.

WABC Liaison John Devereaux and Business Manager Kai-Lou Yue spent Friday competing in the In-Camera Feature contest, which required them to walk through Boston and ask people about their feelings on the Boston Marathon bombings.

“We walked up and down Boylston Street asking people about the Boston Marathon bombings,” said Devereaux. “It was definitely an interesting project to be working on for our competition.”

Another major event Friday was the Quiz Bowl competition. Four of our editors participated in the Quiz Bowl competition,  Editors-in-Chief Kyle Auger, Abby Cianciolo, and Ethan Walshe were part of the team alongside Copy Editor Craig Brinkerhoff.

The Quiz Bowl team researched different areas of study such as current events and AP Style before leaving for the trip so they would be prepared for the group quiz during the first round. Their hard work proved to pay off, as the team qualified for the next round on Saturday.

After making it through the first buzzer round of the Quiz Bowl on Saturday morning, the team lost the following round to Sparkman High School from Harvest, Alabama.

“I think our quiz bowl team did really well. We tried to divide the content area,” said Cianciolo.

The conference ended Sunday morning with the JEA Award Ceremony, where the eight staff members were awarded for their efforts during their write-offs.

“I think overall we did extremely well for being new to the conference,” said Cianciolo.