9 foods that make Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Turkey

By John Devereaux
WABC Liaison

Thanksgiving is known for giving thanks, spending time with family, football, and of course, eating a lot of food. Here are nine foods you don’t want to miss this Thanksgiving.

1. The Turkey

Thanksgiving wouldn’t be the same without the big turkey in the middle of the table. Whether you eat the dark meat or white meat it’s been a tradition to many families since Thanksgiving began.

2. Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry sauce is one of the most popular sides that complement a Thanksgiving dinner. Almost everyone wants a slice of cranberry sauce,  be it homemade or from a can, just for the full Thanksgiving experience.

3. Apple Pie or Apple Crisp

It is one of the most adored desserts in America. You can never be too full to have a slice of apple Pie or apple Crisp.  Apple season is ending, and now is the best time to get your last slice of these traditional desserts.

4. Mashed Potatoes

Every festive dinner has to have Mashed Potatoes. Though many forms of potato are popular, including roasted or home friend, It is hard to imagine Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes on the corner of the plate.

5. Green beans

Even Thanksgiving should have a healthy side. You could make a green bean casserole or just have them straight out of the cooking pot. Green beans are one of the most common vegetables to have during the holiday.

6. Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Pie is among one of the top desserts during the Fall Season. Though it is not for everyone, it is still a popular dessert item. Pumpkin season is still going during Thanksgiving, and you can’t get enough of it.

7. Sweet Potatoes

Sweet potatoes are a must have. Cover the mashed tuber with a melted marshmallows and you’ll have a very popular dish at the table.

8. Bread Stuffing

You can’t go wrong with a bread stuffing.

9.Homemade Gravy

And finally gravy. Homemade gravy can go on anything such like mashed potatoes, turkey and stuffing. Gravy is generally the most common and popular sauce during the feast.