Westford Academy’s stance on healthcare reform

By Maria Hodgins

In recent months, the issue that has sparked the most controversy amongst Americans has been healthcare reform. Even Westford Academy appears to have taken a stance on the subject.

The public option in particular has caused tension and debate. It seems that healthcare reform, which has become a cornerstone in President Barack Obama’s presidency, has caused a division of the nation. Every day the contrast between the supporters and opponents becomes more distinct.

In order to understand how the faculty and students here feel about the issue, it is first necessary to understand what the healthcare reform actually includes. Unfortunately, this is no small task – the thousand-page long bill includes numerous vague phrases that have led to a variety of interpretations (or perhaps misinterpretations).

For those who are confused or unsure as to the correct meaning of “public option,” there is no exact definition. However, in loose terms, a public option can be characterized as a public health insurance plan that, if implemented, would run alongside private insurers.

In theory, the public option would make healthcare available to uninsured Americans and promote competition in the market, which would encourage private companies to lower their premiums.

Opponents of this option argue that this government-run plan would actually drive private insurance companies out of business. Some have cited “death panels” in the bill, and others have labeled Obama as a socialist.

John Wysokowski, a social studies teacher here at Westford Academy spoke about the people’s growing fear of the public option.

“Americans love capitalism. We are terrified of the S word – Socialism is horrifying to people,” said Wysokowski. He expressed that although there needs to be some opposition in order for the bill to improve, the government “death panels” and Nazi accusations are ridiculous.

“It’s difficult to compromise on something like the public option. You either have it or you don’t have it. With something as big as healthcare reform, there’s only so much room for compromise,” said Wysokowski.

Donna Kavanagh, also a social studies teacher, stated that this issue is complicated, and that there should be a public option but only if it’s done right.

“I think something will be passed. It might be minimal… but I think it will be a start. I don’t think it will be adequate, but you have to start somewhere… Because we’re so entrenched in our system,” said Kavanagh.

Sophomore Paige Watterson expressed her opposition.

“I think that Obama is making a bad decision on this issue, and he’s trying to make us European, but we’re not European, we’re American. We like to do things our way,” said Watterson.

Although European countries including France, Switzerland and Spain, have universal health care, Watterson said she would rather see America keep Medicare as it is.

Senior Sarah Yim stated that she was a proponent of the reform.

“I think it’s ridiculous that people are calling Obama a socialist. Europe has universal health care and they’re okay. Everyone isn’t always going to agree on everything,” Yim said, and then laughed, “Universal health care – Why not?”