Boys’ soccer overpowers Andover

Victoria Walker
Business Manager

WA Boys' Soccer Overpowers AndoverThe WA Boys’ Varsity Soccer Team has had several frustrating games recently, but during Monday’s senior night game, the Ghosts managed to come back and finally “[find] the back of the net”, winning 3-0 against the Andover High School Golden Warriors.

Westford started off the game strong, despite missing three senior starters due to injury and illness. While the play moved up and down the field, Westford managed to make several shots at goal early on, and stayed in control throughout the game.

“Our passing and team defense overpowered Andover,” said WA coach Toni DiLeo. “Westford was able to move the ball into the Andover end, but had difficulty with the final pass due to a swarming Andover defense.”

Torsten Nilsson, Scot McCord, Brian Murray and Derrick Naugler all made unsuccessful shots at goal during the first half, and the score remained locked at 0-0.

Ten minutes before halftime, the Ghosts finally succeeded in doing what they had been attempting to do the whole game and jumped up three goals above the Warriors in just minutes. Moving down the left side of the field, WA players got the ball into Andover’s end. Anthony Zheng made a long pass to Derrick Naugler, who reached the ball just as the Andover keeper did.

“Derrick tipped the ball with his toe, just enough to push it past the keeper,” said DiLeo. “[He] followed the tip and finished for a 1-0 lead.”

Just a minute later, Westford’s Sam Brewer made a free kick from 40 yards out on the left side, and in doing so scored the second goal of the night.

“[It was] a long service to the back post that went past the Andover keeper into the top ninety for the second score: 2-0,” said DiLeo. “Andover was shocked.”

Just one minute after this, Eashan Jani set up the third rapid fire goal of the night, serving a ball from the left midfield into the center. Naugler received the ball about 25 yards out and “made an outside of the foot one time shot that made a huge bend,” according to DiLeo. The ball went into the upper 90 far post, quickly bringing WA to a 3-0 lead over Andover.

Another highlight happened at one point during which the WA defense temporarily broke down, giving an Andover player the chance to make a powerful low shot from 20 yards away. A tricky save was made by WA goalkeeper, Nick Mizzoni.

The second half of the game played out similarly to the beginning of the first half, with multiple opportunities to score goals either missed, or saved by the Andover goalie. Ryan Hesseltine, Derrick Naugler Scot McCord and Torsten Nilsson all had such opportunities, but were unable to pull Westford to a 4-0 lead. Mizzoni made another save for Westford, blocking a “bullet from 18 yards out”.

“This was a great way to finish the season…,” said DiLeo. “Derrick Naugler had two terrific goals: the outside of the foot bend to the back post was a highlight reel goal. Sam Brewer, our goal keeper played defense tonight to fill some holes that resulted from illness and injury. His goal was a just reward. Finally, I cannot give enough praise to keeper Nick Mizzoni. Nick made two terrific saves to preserve the shut out. A memorable final performance.”

[doptg id=”53″]