WAGS take tough loss to CCHS

Senior Kyra Kruger chips the ball over a CCHS midfielder.

By Ethan Walshe
Editor-in-Chief

The Westford Academy girls’ soccer team suffered a tough loss Thursday evening to Concord-Carlisle, 1-0, at Alumni Stadium.

A single goal in the 38th minute proved to be the difference maker, when a CCHS midfielder edged the ball past WA goalkeeper Samantha Hyslip.

In response to this score by the opposition, the Ghosts were on the attack. They immediately responded with a shot on goal by Silje Lein from a few yards out that went over the net. This was indicative of the girls’ game.

Through the 80 minute battle, the Ghosts out-shot CCHS, 21 to 5, which included several scoring opportunities that simply did not find the back of the net.

“We didn’t finish. In the first half we had four prime opportunities to put the ball in the net … When you’re six yards out, you can’t do that, you have to put it in,” said Westford coach Tracy Capone.

The Ghosts also featured strong defensive play, evidenced by their ability to limit the CCHS Patriots to just five shots. Defenders Rebecca Sennott and Kyra Kruger were solid from the backfield, breaking up several one-on-one plays that could have resulted in more goals for the Patriots.

“I think we out-played them … we definitely could have won this game. They [Concord-Carlisle] just had a lucky shot, but we definitely out hustled and out worked them in the end,” remarked fellow defender Brianna Cochran.

During the second half in particular the Ghosts came out strong and were certainly playing more aggressive soccer than their opponents. Several plays by striker Lauren Steele were broken up as the Patriots’ defense collapsed into the backfield towards the end of the match.

Though her team lost, Capone still feels that the Ghosts put up a strong performance.

“It was one of the best games they’ve played all season. They played hard, they executed the game plan, and I think they deserve a better result,” said Capone.

Midfielder Stacy Shackleton echoed her coach’s sentiments.

“I think the soccer gods were against us today, but we really put our heart out there,” said Shackleton.

The Ghosts now sit at 4-4-1. Their next game is October 8th at home versus Bedford.