WA defeated by rival AB

By Lauren Cullen
Managing Editor
& Ethan Wheel

The Grey Ghosts’ football team continued a troubling start to their 2013 season this past friday, suffering a decisive loss to rivals Acton-Boxborough. WA has dropped to 0-3 after losing 48-24.

The match started well for WA, with running back Ben Rodman scoring an early touchdown off a 69 yard run. After AB’s first drive ended in a punt, WA scored again with a 22 yard field goal by Thomas Jacobsen. However, AB responded quickly with a touchdown by running back Thomas Sapanaro to reduce the deficit to 10-7, WA.

With little time left in the first quarter, WA’s Tyler Arsenault ran into the endzone for another touchdown to make it 17-7 WA.

Sapanaro scored a quick touchdown for AB three minutes into the second quarter. On WA’s next drive they fumbled, and it was recovered by AB, who then drove for another touchdown. AB scored for the third time in a row, but missed the extra point. The score at the half was 27-17 in favor of AB

WA seemed to make a comeback in the third quarter when they scored a touchdown to come within three points, but that would be the closet they came. Acton-Boxborough would respond with another touchdown to Saponaro, increasing their lead to 34-24.

Turnovers would plague WA. AB would end up returning an interception for a touchdown before the end of the third quarter. The game ended with a final score of 48-24.

WA’s next game is Friday, October 4 against the Waltham Hawks at Alumni Stadium.