Nudler brothers enter stage left

The Nudlers in the bell lobby

By Craig Brinkerhoff
Copy Editor

Westford Academy’s Theatre department is currently preparing for its annual musical. This year, they have chosen to undertake Les Miserables, the famed story set in 19th century France based on Victor Hugo’s book.

Les Miserables tells the story of Jean Valjean, a man who is wrongly convicted and imprisoned for nineteen years. After his release, the story centers on Valjean’s life and Javert, the man bent on sending him back to jail.

Among the list of talented leads, the Nudler brothers, senior Nick and junior Sam, stand out as a pair of skilled actors. Nick plays Valjean and Sam is Enjolras, the leader of a progressive party during the Paris Uprising.

“I’ve always loved working with Sam. People ask me that all of the time, but it’s never been a problem working with each other because we’re both very different actors and completely different performers. We just try to support each other as much as we can,” said Nick.

Director Michael Towers brings a unique perspective to the brother’s dynamic relationship.

“They are like all brothers: they have their rivalries, but they’re remarkably positive and supportive of each other. They certainly challenge each other, directly and indirectly, and each is aware of what the other is capable of. They don’t allow each other to give less than what they are capable of, and in that regard they are a quality control force for each other,” said Towers.

Both Nick and Sam have been well known in the Westford theatre circuit for a long time. This is primarily due to their mother, who pushed them to pursue acting at a young age.

“When I was eight years old, my mom gave me a flyer for Aladdin, that was going on at the Stony Brook Middle School through Westford Youth Theatre. I didn’t want to do it, but my mom drove me there, and I was crying in the car ‘I don’t want to go!’ and was terrified to go on stage and do this audition. Well, I got on stage and I never got off,” said Nick.

Sam has a story that is very similar, albeit more condensed.

“I went with Nick to one of his auditions, was forced to audition, and got into the play,” said Sam.

Throughout the fall, both Nudlers have been and will be extremely busy. The play is significantly longer than other musicals WATA has attempted. While a similar schedule to that of Evita, from three to eight every weekday plus Sunday, rehearsals feel a little more strenuous because of the length. Towers feels that will be not be an issue.

“As individuals they are both workhorses, they care about their product and want to be excellent. They have integrity and they are cornerstones of the department for sure,” said Towers.

According to both Nudlers, the lead actors carry the show. Furthermore, the ensemble acts as a sort of lead character, and that is why they believe that Les Miserables will be such a hit.

“It’s going to be the best show WA has ever done. It’s going to be an amazing, ridiculous show, and every single person is cool … If for no other reason, see it for the end of act I,” said Nick.