Seniors vie for Mr. WA title

Mr. WA contestants show off their formal wear outfits for the crowd.

By Abby Cianciolo
Editor-In-Cheif

Students, parents, and Westford town members gathered Friday night in the Performing Arts Center for this year’s Mr. WA competition. The annual performance crowned senior Alex Markoski the winner after his musical performance wowed the judges and the audience.

The event was run by the senior class of 2014 and featured ten senior boys all vying for the coveted title. The men included David Ran, Chris Noran, Nick Nudler, Morgan Tansey, Ryan Cole, Ben Woodward, Ethan Walshe, Chris Sullivan, Alex Markoski, Derrick Naugler, and Akshay Bhardwaj. Contestants participated in formal wear, talent, and question and answer portions to determine the winner.

Talents were varied across the board from singing to comedy. One surprisingly entertaining show was Morgan Tansey’s interesting unicycle and xylophone performance. Class president Akshay Bhardwaj also brought the laughs with his “WA Update” piece.

“I’m not a performer myself and was never into that kind of stuff before, but seeing all the other contestants going out there, having a great time, it was easy for me to feel relaxed and have fun with everyone else,” said Bhardwaj.

The audience and judge’s favorite, however, proved to be Alex Markoski. Markoski is not new to performing, as he is part of the band The Cranks and regularly performs. He presented an original song with multiple instruments and audio pieces that he wrote for the competition.

“I did not have high expectations for the night, I was mainly doing it for fun,” said Markoski. “When they announced my name, I was definitely happy about it, because I didn’t expect to win, and I was with a lot of other talented guys.”

“He is a great performer, a very talented young man. I’m very glad he won, I think he deserved it the most,” added second runner up, Ethan Walshe.

With a full crowd and excellent talent displayed, the night turned out to be a success. Even with times of silliness, the show ran smoothly.

“I think apart from some questionable dancing, the event was amazing,” said Bhardwaj. “There was high energy all around, the contestants performed wonderfully, and it started off our senior year extremely strong.”