Surviving first senior semester

A stressed senior pores over her work

By Victoria Walker
Business Manager

College. It’s one of those things that everyone’s excited about, but to which no one wants to apply. Nearing the end of  September, some students have worked diligently on their applications all summer, some have already applied and been accepted to their first college, and some are starting to panic because they have yet to begin constructing their essay.

With so much to do and so many deadlines, it can be hard to know where to concentrate your time. The essay needs to be finished, and all the little boxes on the Common Application filled out with how many hours a week you spend volunteering, playing varsity soccer and singing for the choir. Meanwhile, you’re studying to squeeze in one more SAT grade and trying to navigate Naviance. This is all after seven hours of school, in the five minutes between band and Mock Trial, and in the midst of some impossible amount of homework. Then, when you manage to get it all done in time for the Early Decision deadline, you actually have to figure out where you want to spend the next four years.

After three years of looking up, seniors have finally reached the coveted top spot of the school, but many are still looking forward. “I can’t wait until applications go out!” “We should hang out in the spring, when everything’s done.” “Three more months!” Disney, prom, internships; it’s all great, but it’s also half a year away.

So how does one avoid the stress and allow themselves time to enjoy their last year of high school?

We have all heard it before, but it is vital to stay on top of your work. With junior year over, no one really wants to stay up past midnight anymore to get A’s on every quiz. Yet, it is important to start the year off strong. Colleges are looking at who you are now, just as much as who you’ve been throughout high school.

“I’d say time management is key,” said college freshman and member of WA class of 2013 Anastasha Echavarri. “If you don’t have a way of keeping track of time, it really gets away from you.”

To prevent this, start working now. It’s stressful sitting at a lunch table as everyone talks about the fine points of their essay when you’ve barely begun to draft yours. Don’t get caught behind. While it’s important to enjoy the moment, preparing for the future now will make life easier a month from now. Set aside half an hour every night to work through your checklist and talk to family and friends about your future. Finishing one task every few days is a good way to not be caught in a flood of work at the last minute.

“Don’t make the application piece itself bigger than it needs to be. It’s really a lot of paperwork,” said Director of Guidance Wendy Pechacek. “You know the answers to all the questions except the essay, you just have to fill it in.” She went on to explain that the essay should be the main focus of students’ time.

To help manage your time, make a to-do list. Tasks become much simpler to complete when they are all neatly lined up. If you don’t consider yourself extremely organized, find one online, or use this one.

Also, start by writing a list of deadlines and adding them to your calendar. SATs are being held October 5th with scores available October 24th, and November 2nd with a registration deadline of October 3rd (late: October 21st) with scores out on November 21st. Set aside fifteen minutes a night and spend them focusing on a single topic, then review everything at the end of the week.

Once this is all done or scheduled, set up a guidance meeting. Most Early Decision and Early Action deadlines lie around either November 1st or 15th, but be sure to check with your respective school. The same goes for regular applications, most of which go out in early January.

Keep a balanced schedule. Senior year might be a good time to try a fun club or start a new hobby, but it’s not time to overload your schedule, at least until applications go out.

“I often tell students to act as if they have an extra class that they have to prepare for,” suggested Pechacek.

At the same time, there is a difference between preparing for college and obsessing over it.

“If your parents are on your back all the time, constantly asking you questions …  I a lot of the time recommend that families set aside a time once a week where they talk about what the status is of the college application process, and then the rest of the time it’s off limit unless the students brings it up,” said Peckacek.

Likewise, set aside time for friends, family and things you enjoy. If you love apple picking in the fall or hanging out with friends at a football game, you don’t have to cut it, just plan your time wisely. Before you know it, applications will be out, senior spring will begin and all the hard work will pay off as acceptance letters start coming in the mail.