Torn ACL doesn’t get the best of Gallagher

Gallagher watching from the sidelines.

By Tim DeLouchrey
Sports Liason

In September of her sophomore year, midfielder Jess Gallagher learned she would be placed on the varsity soccer squad. Unfortunately, her bright future took a step back the following April, when Gallagher suffered a torn ACL during a club soccer game.

“People said I was in shock,” said Gallagher, “I don’t remember the pain that well.”

It has been five months since the injury occurred. When Gallagher went down, her doctor initially diagnosed her with a torn MCL. The approximate recovery time was three weeks to three months. However, after an MRI, it was revealed to be a torn ACL with an approximate recovery time of several months to a year, that would keep her out of soccer for this season.

However, her rehab is slightly behind because she did not immediately get surgery. Gallagher waited to get the right surgeon for her. Fortunately, she was able to schedule in a surgery with Dr. Thomas Gill.

Dr. Gill is a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon at Mass General. He is also the team doctor for the New England Patriots, and specializes in knee surgeries.

“He’s worked with Tom Brady, Wes Welker, and Rajon Rondo. It was worth the wait,” said Gallagher.

All three famous athletes have had the same injury as Gallagher. The first two recovered very well, and the third is reportedly making good progress.

Gallagher was able to land an appointment with Dr. Gill through her father, who works in medicine and has made connections in that area.

Between going to physical therapy, working with the school trainer, and doing her own stretches and exercises, Gallagher spends ample amounts of time rehabbing.

“It’s a lot of work. It’s pretty much my soccer. It takes about an hour and a half twice a week, and then I do my own individual stretches and workouts during practice and at home,” said Gallagher. “It’s very time consuming.”

Gallagher has also done work with WA Trainer Billy Bombaci. They meet a couple times per week. They work together in the training room, as well as weight room in order to improve her recovery.

“Her rehab has been going well,” said Bombaci. “She has her own home exercise program and has been doing stuff with me as well. She’s starting to get a little further along in her program.”

Recently, Gallagher has been cleared to start running and jogging.

“Running was awesome. I wasn’t really thinking about the pain. I was more excited to be able to run again,” said Gallagher.

Changing directions while running however, is much more strenuous on her knee, and though she has not been cleared for that yet, it is still in the back of her mind.

“It’s definitely going to be mentally challenging,” said Gallagher.

For the time being, Gallagher still attends the varsity soccer practices. She is technically considered the manager, but receives a jersey, as well as a varsity letter. She also has a chance at a possible captainship. She is as close to being a part of the team as possible.

“It’s a lot of work, but its worth it to be able to play again.”