WA forms new tight-knit club

By Craig Brinkerhoff and Alok Ganguly
Copy Editor and Public Relations Manager

With all the new after school clubs premiering this season, Knitting Club is one of the most promising.  With its first meeting on September 17th, the club is already in full swing.

Founded by Sarah Bjorkman, a Latin teacher, and German teacher Kristin Gillett, the club exists to provide a social forum for both dedicated and novice knitters.

“We both like knitting.  It’s something we’ve bonded over… we knew other people knit, and thought it would be good to get everybody together and see what everybody else is making and learn from each other,” said Bjorkman.

Even if you do not know how to knit, Bjorkman and Gillett or another veteran knitter will instruct you on how to create basic projects.

“You have to learn from someone.  Most of us learned from our grandparents, and if your grandparents don’t knit, where are you going to learn this?” said Gillett.

Though the club has no plans to compete in competitions, speed knitting is a well established discipline. Despite that, Bjorkman has little experience with speed knitting, and would prefer to steer clear of competition until the club is more established.

“I joined because I was thinking about starting a knitting club last year, and I knew Frau Gillett knit.  I’m really excited for it.  Next meeting we are drinking tea and eating cookies.  Everybody should come,” said sophomore Christine Moon.

At the inaugural meeting of the club, the pair had no idea how may people would show up.  Not only did they have a great turnout, but most of the students already knew how to knit.

“We don’t know what the future holds for the Knitting Club.  The future is wide open,” said Gillett.

The club meets every Tuesday in room 130 directly after school.