New bleachers shine up stadium

By Abigail Cianciolo
Editor-in-Chief

The Westford Academy Alumni Stadium has undergone a makeover this past summer. In addition to the turf fields, WA has constructed a new set of bleachers to be used for all sports games.

As many remember, the old set of bleachers were in need of an update. Last year, plywood was installed to improve the safety of the stands, but it could only serve its purpose for so long.

“The bleachers were built in 1974 so they’re thirty plus years old,” said WA principal Jim Antonelli. “We put the plywood around them and shored them up a little bit but you can only do that for a short period of time, then you have to meet all the requirements for ADA.”

The ADA, the American Disabilities Act, was passed to ensure people with disabilities equal opportunities for, in this instance, accessibility to the stands. The new bleachers were financed from the school budget and now meet the correct regulations. All fans will benefit from the new bleachers due to their new longer design.

“The new requirements that we’ve met with the American Disabilities Act are going to be much more comfortable for our fans and safer for our fans […] The stands are much longer so you really get a nice visual sight line of the field,” said Antonelli.

WA athletic director, Dan Twomey, thought the new bleachers would not impact the game experience dramatically, but would make a more enjoyable time for fans.

“I think it will have the same feeling with the big student section. I think it will have the same atmosphere. It will probably be a more comfortable experience for everybody,” said Twomey.

With the construction going on, some feared that practices and games would be moved or rescheduled. However, the teams have been able to work around the building and continue preparing for the season ahead.

The new stands will make their first grand appearance at WA football’s home opener versus Lowell, but there is still much to be completed before the game.

“There’s a lot of odds and ends that need to be done,” said Twomey. “It needs to be inspected, the building inspector needs to come inspect it [Friday].The handicap accessible ramps need to be finished. Then it’s just a lot of tightening the bolts, double checking everything and anchoring it down.”

Even with a lot of work ahead of them, the construction team is planning to complete the project and have it ready for its debut.

“The bleachers themselves and the press box will be done. It should be done and ready to go, so hopefully it will be packed with students,” Twomey said.

After Friday, there are still a few finishing touches that will be completed in the upcoming week. Some landscaping projects will be completed as well as repairing the fence around the field.