Rich McLaughlin set to retire

Custodial jobs are so often under appreciated by students and teachers in any school. However, custodian Rich McLaughlin has become a well known and well respected face around Westford Academy, and after 13 years, he has announced his retirement from the school.

McLaughlin’s first day at WA came a while before his first day on the job.

“I graduated from WA in 1970. That school is now the Abbot School in Westford,” said McLaughlin.

His first day as a custodian at Westford Academy was in 2000. At the time, WA was finishing up its renovation process, leaving much work for McLaughlin to do.

“The building was newly renovated and Rich and his crew worked the miracles they always work over the summer to get the building ready for the students and staff to start the school year,” said business teacher, Gina Mustoe.

Aside from keeping the school in top shape, Rich McLaughlin has been an active member in the school community, building relationships with students and staff.

“Whenever I need something, no matter what it is, Rich is there to help out,” said Mustoe.

The job has been challenging at times, but McLaughlin and the rest of his custodial staff has been there to tackle any situations that arrived.

“There’s a lot of work that needs to be done everyday, but the staff has been excellent to work with,” said McLauglin.

Gina Mustoe added, “[McLaughlin] was proud of the accomplishments of his crew and commended their efforts and never took the credit, he made it clear that it was all them.”

Taking care of a school with over 1600 students is no small task and requires a lot of time dedicated to the job. McLaughlin devoted a whole week of his time to chaperone the 2009 senior trip to Disney World, and is now one of his favorite memories of his time at Westford Academy. This allowed McLaughlin the opportunity to be with the students and staff outside of school. Although they encountered the occasional afternoon thunderstorm, McLaughlin enjoyed his time getting to know different members of the school community.

After the end of this school year, McLaughlin plans on doing part time carpentry and handyman work. He hopes for a relaxing and smooth end to his career here, and that his last day will be full of joy.

However, as with all goodbyes, it means bidding farewell to those who he has spent much time with over the last thirteen years.

“I will miss a lot of the students and staff I have met. There have been some awesome people here,” said McLaughlin. “In fact, some of the students this year are some of my favorites that are graduating this year.”