Hats off to the class of 2013

The class of 2013 is announced

By Jenny Watts

Despite the unfortunate weather earlier in the week, this bright and sunny Sunday held host to beautiful graduation exercises for the Westford Academy Class of 2013.

“Today is a glorious day. We’re excited and we’re ready,” said Principal James Antonelli moments before taking his place at the podium.

To begin the day’s ceremonies, junior class marshals Sravya Chary and Akshay Bhardwaj lead in over 400 members of the class of 2013 to the tune of Pomp and Circumstance, played by Westford Academy’s marching band.

After taking their seats, Antonelli gave a speech in which he spoke of the pride and memories that this class would leave behind.

“There are a lot of strong people in this class, I look for these students to be great leaders,” he remarked.

Recognition was made to the Valedictorian Yi Zhang, and Salutatorian Carol Gu. Each girl’s guidance counselor made remarks about their academic achievements. Following this, senior class officers Jillian Chrysikos, Dan Bugos, Vickram Reddy, and Leah Giacalone presented Jon Bon Jovi tickets to class advisors Melanie Jozokos and Betsy Murphy in recognition of their dedication to the class.

Afterwards, the Honors Choir, which consisted of members of the senior, junior, and sophomore classes performed Westford Academy’s Alma Mater.

Next it was time for the class of 2013 speaker, Alaina Baker, to present. Her speech spoke of the ephemeral nature of high school, and how proud she is to be a member of such a unified and close group of students.

Following Baker’s speech, the Most Worthy Representative Awards was given out to two members of each class and individual awards for various academic achievements were given to graduating seniors.

To follow the awards, Superintendent Bill Olsen took to the stage to deliver his annual speech. He spoke of the pride he has for this graduating class and how he looks forward to seeing what they will accomplish as they go off into the world. He also spoke of how proud the seniors’ parents were.

Diplomas were then handed out individually to each of the seniors, followed by a handshake and a hug from their class officers, class advisors, and of course Antonelli and other members of the Westford Trustee’s and WA administration.

The class songs “Home” by Phillip Phillips and “It’s Time” by Imagine Dragons were performed by members of the 2013 class, including Sal Daniele, Catie Martin, Alaina Baker, Justus Klein, Brian Edson, and others.

Class president Jillian Chrysikos closed the ceremonies with a heartwarming and tearful speech.

“It was yesterday and every day before then that we wished for this  moment, but now we don’t have to dream of it, because we’re living it,” said Chrysikos.

[doptg id=”37″]