Pilachowski wins the hearts of Mass. DECA

Pilachowski’s business card

By Abby Cianciolo
Photography Editor

As DECA is one of the largest clubs at Westford Academy, it is not surprising that many students place at district, state, and national levels. However, very few students from Westford Academy have been a part of the state action team for Massachusetts DECA. Over the weekend of March 15-18, junior Jayne Pilachowski ran for and won that position as a state officer.

DECA members elected into the position of the state action team are responsible for putting together state and district competitions and assist in the International Career Development Conferences.

“As a State Officer, I will be responsible for organizing and running Massachusetts DECA events. During that time, I will attend meetings and leadership workshops to help strengthen my skills and gain experience that I will be able to bring back to MASS-DECA,” said Pilachowski.

Pilachowski ran on the campaign, “Vote for Jayne for DECA Gain!” Her core values included the acronym DECA, which all were centered around the idea of expanding the limits of the organization.

This stood for direct contact with the sponsors of Massachusetts DECA. “E” stood for expanding the club’s horizons and “C” stood for chartering new chapters, which both focused on getting more kids and schools involved in the organization. Finally, “A” stood for alumni network which would be creating a database of alumni contact information for future careers, internships and job shadows.

“I am trying to focus on expanding DECA to make it an even bigger and stronger association,” says Pilachowski.

Officers value hard work, dedication and knowledge of business. These values were demonstrated by the lengthy process the candidates including Pilachowski went through to even campaign at the state conference.

“Starting a few months into the school year, I met with my campaign manager, Mr. Gagne, to start the initial planning,” said Pilachowski. “I then had to complete the State Officer Candidate Packet. In the beginning of February, I had an initial screening where I needed to pass both a written test on the history of DECA and an interview with the current State Officers and Advisor in order to make sure I was qualified for the position.”

At the state conference, Pilachowski’s work was just beginning. Each candidate had to put together a campaign booth and greet the voting delegates from each school in hopes of making a good impression on them. Pilachowski also delivered two speeches to both the whole Massachusetts DECA audience and the voting delegates.

“Jayne put her heart and soul into running for State Officer and it paid off,” said DECA advisor and Pilachowski’s campaign manager, Adam Gagne. “Her organized campaign, detailed platform & overall professionalism set her apart from the other candidates.”

Pilachowski also had a large support base from the Westford Academy students competing at the conference.

“I am so grateful for all of my friends that came to my booth to help hand out business cards and personalized pencils,” said Pilachowski. “There is no way I would have had the success I did if it was not for the support of other WA DECA members.”

When the state action team was announced at the conference, Pilachowski was overcome with emotion. A dream that had taken a tremendous amount of work and effort was finally transforming itself into a beautiful reality.

“All I could think about was all the hard work that went into my campaign, all the help others provided, and how everything I did was worth it.  I could not have been any happier at that moment,” she said.

Gagne added, “Massachusetts DECA elected a star! Westford Academy DECA Club is very proud of Jayne and we are looking forward seeing the positive impact she is going to have at the State level.”