Nick Sciuto runs the distance

Nick Sciuto is headed to Iona College to run next year

By Nicole Souza

“Focus and hard work are the key ingredients in Nick’s success as a runner,” math teacher and track coach Phil Archambault said about senior Nick Sciuto. Holding the 1000 meter school record of 2:31.8 for indoor track, Sciuto is heading off to Iona College next year to run in Division I.

Sciuto has been running track since sixth grade and cross country since seventh. This past year, he was a captain for cross country, winter track and spring track.

Not only does he run the 1000 meter individual, Sciuto also runs the 800 meter outdoors, and is a leg on the 4 x 400 meter relay race. His weekly training consists of several long sprint workouts, and long runs ranging from 45 minutes to an hour.

The coach from Iona College contacted Scuito saying that he needed a few middle distance runners. Sciuto considers himself “lucky.” He knew that Iona had some of its best runners come to the school from Ireland, Scotland, and England.

Not only is the campus close to New York City, but the college also has a strong business program that Sciuto is interested in. While Sciuto looked at other Division I and II schools, he said “I had a feeling that I would be going to Iona all along”.

“I’m definitely looking forward to the freedom, meeting new people, learning new things and just having fun. Also I can’t wait to run track and get as much experience with running as I can before I graduate,” said Scuito when asked about his hopes for college.

Running is something that Sciuto is very passionate about, and he would never consider stopping after high school.

“Why wouldn’t I want to continue running in college?” said Scuito.

Sciuto says that some of his future goals include finishing his high school career strong and he definitely wants to run well in college so he can continue doing what he loves to do after graduating.

“I have known and coached Nick since his freshman year … It has been a distinct pleasure to coach him and watch the maturation process. He has really grown into a fantastic leader who helps the younger athletes to reach their true potential,” said Archambault.