Agraz bridges gap between school and safety

Agraz patrolling the halls of his new work environment.

By Amy Keum and Kai-Lou Yue
Staff Writers
& Lauren Cullen
Multimedia Editor 

Due to the recent tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary, schools across the nation have been improving their security systems. By implementing new protocols, students’ safety is expected to improve. One of these new safety measures is creating a Student Resource Officer position. An SRO is an officer from the police department who spends his day at a school and is there in case of an emergency. At Westford Academy, this officer is Detective Justin Agraz.

Agraz is a WA graduate of the 2001 class. After spending six years in the Marine Corps, he joined the Westford Police Department. He has spent most of his time as a patrol officer, but was recently promoted to being a detective.

Agraz believes his military experiences have given him training that he would not have received otherwise.

“Being able to think on your feet and to deal with high stress situations will help in this position,” he said.

An SRO’s responsibilities include bridging the communication gap between schools and the police department, to discourage drug use, to ensure safety during an emergency, and prevent bullying and harassment.  If there ever was an emergency at WA, Agraz would be the first responder.

“Safety is my number one priority,” said Agraz.

In order to react to all situations he is presented with, Agraz is armed.

“The fact of the matter is, I am a police officer, and I am armed. How can I ensure a safe school when I don’t have the tools to handle any situation that can occur?” he said.

This year, Agraz’s focus is on getting to know everyone. Although there are some teachers he knows from his high school years, there are many he still needs to meet. Because his position was put into effect recently, he worries that students will have trouble adjusting to his presence.

“Because I came in the middle of the year, my biggest challenge is getting to know everyone,” he said.

Some students have admitted that they didn’t know Agraz was here.

“I didn’t even know there was an officer in school,” said freshman Shyam Bhagat.

According to guidance counselor Barbara Kutner, the WA staff has been formally introduced to Agraz, and he will most likely be introduced to students at an upcoming advisory day.

Most of the SRO specific training takes place during school vacations, so Agraz will be attending upcoming seminars. One of these training sessions will take place over February break. After receiving this training in February, he plans on educating the staff on new safety measures as soon as possible.

“You have to train the staff to function properly… It could be the kitchen staff making sure that after they get their deliveries, they lock the door after a delivery, or it could come down to the secretaries, not only are they buzzing people in, but they’re saying to report to the main office.” he said.

Agraz says he believes his laid back personality will help him at this position, and also how he is not a tough, “in your face officer.”

Agraz believes that his position here at WA is necessary.

“You would hate for something bad to happen before we change our minds,” he said.