Gagne ready to continue Grey Ghost football legacy

Gagne is ready to coach this fall.

By Tim Delouchrey

Adam Gagne, Westford Academy business teacher, is back to coaching WA sports now as the head football coach. Coaching is something Gagne has been doing for nine years now and was chosen to be head coach for the upcoming football season.

Gagne applied for the position and was chosen to be the head coach several weeks ago.

“I was excited. I was happy to be given the oppurtunity to teach and coach in the same building… I know the students, I know the community,” said Gagne.

As far as football goes, Gagne has set high expectations for himself, but does not plan to change much in regards to the way Westford runs their football program. Because of his three years coaching here prior to his year away, he knows the current system very well. This prior knowledge is another one of many reasons he is excited to coach here.

This will not be a huge change for the players because of Gagne’s prior experience.

“We all know him from his previous years of coaching which already gives us a good relationship with him,” said junior Matt McGorty.

Gagne values his experience greatly. Along with WA and Salem High School in Salem, NH, Gagne coached at Merrimack College for five years.

“I think every year as coach you kind of learn and tweak and grow. I can’t really put a value on any of the years because it’s all been a progression,” he said.

Being able to teach and coach at the same school is an honor that not many people receive. Coach Mckenna, WA’s prior head football coach, did not teach at WA. Gagne taught here last year, but did not coach here.

“It’s all kind of lead up to this. It’s a position where I am given an opportunity to teach and to coach in the same building,” said Gagne.

Gagne also coaches the boys’ freshman basketball team. He values any experience he gets regardless of the sport and level.

“It has absolutely [been helpful]. It’s really brought me down a notch… because I’m used to working with college athletes and high school varsity athletes, and to kind of see the freshman dynamic is important because that is where the program starts and you have to experience working with the freshmen kids in order to see the progression you want at the varsity level,” said Gagne.

Gagne is very busy in the WA community; between coaching, teaching, and advising DECA, Gagne does not have much free time.

Gagne believes that he will be able to balance his time however, and provide the amount of attention needed for the job. He was able to head coach in Salem, so he thinks it will actually be less time consuming now that he is at WA.

“It’s demanding, and it will certainly help me out because of the fact that I’m here and can communicate with Mr. Twomey on a daily basis or communicate with the kids everyday in the hallways. It’s tough being a head coach when you’re not in the building so I think if anything it will actually help me being here,” said Gagne.

The head coaching position is a very highly regarded one and Gagne pressures himself above all others. He believes that he needs pressure in order to exceed his expectations and bring the program to its full potential.

“I think I put more pressure on myself than I feel from the outside. There’s always pressure to win and to be successful but that’s part of the position. That’s what I like about it, the pressure. And it’s not necessarily pressure, it’s more expectations and I like high expectations. I plan on setting high expectations because it’s motivation and I’ve always said, ‘No one rises to low expectations’, so in order to get the most out of the program, the most out of myself as a coach and the most out of the players, WA sets very high expectations,” he said.

WA is losing some of its great players this year due to graduation and could potentially have trouble having a successful season. Gagne however, still believes that the team can win.

“My goal is to keep the program moving forward. In working with Coach McKenna for three years and working closely with the players I learned a lot about how to keep the progression of the program,” said Gagne.

Gagne wants to continue the WA football program and set up a good environment for the players.

“I’m confident going into the season. He knows his stuff and he has experience in all fields of coaching,” said junior Tyler Arsenault.

Being prepared is something Gagne wants to key in on this season.

“Preparation is key. Preparation eliminates pressure. My goal for the team and my staff’s goal for the team is to be prepared and perform,” said Gagne.

In the long run, Gagne believes his commitment is what really separates him from others.

“I think that I am committed to Westford Academy, being a teacher here, and now a coach,” he said. “I’m all in and I’m excited about that. I have commitment, hard work, and love and passion for football and what it can do for young men.”