Catie Martin singing her way to success

Senior Catie Martin is a member of the honors choir at WA.

By Ellie Smith 

Ever since she can remember, Catie Martin has had a strong interest in singing and performing. A senior at WA, Martin has participated in chorus since her freshman year at Westford Academy.

Martin joined concert choir during her freshman year and continued to pursue an interest in the elective. At the end of her freshman year, she auditioned for honors choir and has been participating in chorus ever since. This will be her fourth year as member of the honors choir.

Martin first joined chorus solely for her love of singing, but she gained the rewarding experience of contributing her strengths to the group as they perform.

“I really love contributing to a chorus,” said Martin. “It feels really good as a singer and as a musician to add to a whole group of something.”

As a singer, Martin will take away the knowledge of music while persisting through four years of chorus.

“Working with a group of people is definitely a life lesson that you take with you. All of the specific things that I have learned about music here is so much more than I knew in eighth grade,” said Martin.

Martin experienced one of her most memorable performances during her junior year when she sang the first solo of her singing career. She sang “Such Great Heights” by The Postal Service in front of many middle school students in the area.

Fellow chorus member and senior at WA Tia Ryder speaks highly of Martin not only as a singer and songwriter, but as a person as well.

“Catie is just an absolutely beautiful person. She’s so passionate about her music and she writes absolutely gorgeous songs,” said Ryder. “She makes the songs so meaningful to herself and because people see how much they mean to her, it makes them all the more special.”

In her free time, Martin enjoys playing guitar and composing songs. What many do not know about her is that she has a love for science, especially biology.

After high school, Martin plans to attend college in the fall and is looking into many colleges that offer singing. At the top of her list is Berklee College of Music located in Boston, MA.

Martin plans to continue with singing throughout her entire life as it is something that she truly enjoys.

“Singing is something that I really love. It’s like second nature to me,” said Martin.