Westford bested by AB in Thanksgiving game

WA’s defensive line squaring up against AB during a heartbreaking Thanksgiving Day loss.

By Abby Cianciolo
Photography Editor

Westford Academy football suffered a rough defeat against Acton-Boxborough High School this morning. At the annual Thanksgiving game, the rivals faced off, but WA lost 36-35. Much to the upset of the numerous WA fans, the team could not maintain their nearly game-long lead over AB.

The first quarter looked promising for Westford as junior Ben Rodman scored a touchdown within the first minute of the game. Sophomore Thomas Jacobsen came through with the first successful kick of the day, scoring the extra point. With ten minutes to go in the quarter, Westford Academy was ahead 7-0.

Acton-Boxboro was struggling to get through the Westford Academy defensive line, led by senior Nate Tashjy. With under eight minutes to go in the first quarter, Westford recovered the AB fumble. Shortly after, the Westford pass was intercepted for an AB first down. Acton Boxborough put up a good fight, but were unsuccessful in the first quarter. The score remained 7-0 in Westford’s favor.

Much like Westford’s first touchdown, AB started the second quarter with a drive in the first minute by Zach Adgate that resulted in a touchdown. The extra point by Jack Perry tied the game at  7-7, with AB’s defense standing strong.

On a WA second down, Ben Rodman made a run from the 47 to the 25 yard line, giving Westford the first down. Immediately following, senior Troy Faretra headed right for a run to the nine yard line, putting Westford in touchdown position. After a small pass to the five yard line, Faretra was back for a screen pass to the right giving WA a second touchdown. The Westford kick by Jacobsen was good, setting the score to 14-7 Westford Academy, with six and a half minutes to go in the half.

Acton made a series of short passes, moving themselves slowly but surely against the strong Westford defense. Westford Academy’s Justin Mount nearly had an interception with two minutes to go. AB made their way through the defensive line for a touchdown by Hunter Arnold with a minute and a half to go before halftime, leaving the score tied at 14-14.

Westford recovered with a gain to the 40 yard line. After moving the ball to the 27, Faretra came in with the touchdown for Westford in the last thirty seconds to give WA a seven point lead going into the half.

The halftime show was impressive on both sides. The Westford Academy marching band performed their own renditions of popular songs such as “We Found Love” and “Forget You”. The performance incorporated the color guard and twirlers. The Acton-Boxborough band put on an excellent show with pieces by Beethoven. The Color guard even had their own flags with his face displayed on them.

Westford Academy had the kick to start off the third quarter. After an unsuccessful drive by AB, WA had the ball returned to them, during which time they capitalized and scored yet another touchdown, making the score 28-14 in Westford’s favor.

Mount then had a kick to the deep right side of the field and AB tried to make a run for the endzone, which was blocked by the Westford defense. Westford’s defensive line was broken by AB however, and the team had a significant gain of yardage, which ended with a touchdown for the team by Mike Murphy and a kick by Perry, the score at 21-28 Westford.

Ben Rodman made an impressive run to the 48 yard line, only to be ruined shortly after by a fumble from Westford Academy. After an unsuccessful attempt from the AB offense, WA was given back control of the ball. With 30 seconds left in the quarter, Faretra comes through for a touchdown for WA. AB made a quick response to the touchdown, coming in with a pass to the 45 yard line. Adgate came in for the touchdown, leaving the score at the end of the third quarter 28-35 Westford Academy.

Acton Boxborough started off the fourth quarter with a kick to the deep right and a run from Westford Academy to the 29 yard line. After yet another a fumble by Westford Academy, AB recovered the ball and was given control. On their third down with 11 yards to go, Adgate came in for another touchdown. Acton went in for the extra kick and switched to a run into the end zone, resulting in a  two points conversion, bringing the score to 36-35 with seven minutes to go. AB tried an onside kick to Westford Academy which was fumbled and recovered by the AB players.

Despite various attempts and the Westford team coming very close to a touchdown, there just was not enough power to beat the rival team. The final score was 36-35 in Acton Boxborough’s favor, who ended their season 8-3 to WA’s 7-4.