WA Girls’ Field Hockey Win Critical Game Against Lincoln-Sudbury

By Victoria Walker

A snapshot of the action

Heading into the first round of the playoffs against Lincoln-Sudbury, the girls’ Varsity Field Hockey team defeated the Warriors on October 24th, gaining momentum and confidence heading into their postseason clash.

The Grey Ghosts won 1-0, before the game they were tied for second place in their league, but the win secured them into sole possession of that position.

The teams were well-matched. Both sides had a number of notable shots which just missed being goals. The players kept the ball away from the net and  the WA goalkeeper, junior Allison Avery, made numerous saves.

With 9:19 left in the first half, Westford junior Jenna Klinka made a key pass in front of the net to teammate, junior Allia Connolly, who scored the only goal of the game, putting her team at an advantage over the Warriors for the remainder of the game. WA midfielders also helped to gain momentum in the game by taking the ball from some talented Lincoln-Sudbury players.

“We knew it would be a tough, hard-fought game and they really pressured us offensively. Our defense played a truly amazing game,” said Coach Raeann Gembis. “All of them did an outstanding job… making saves, marking players, communicating with each other and getting the ball back out to their offense.”

Throughout the game the supporters on both sides were enthusiastic. The WA players maintained their high spirits and team support throughout the game and managed to maintain their one goal lead throughout the game.

It was the WA team’s annual senior game, when the team recognizes their senior players at the end of their final season of high school field hockey. Below the bleachers their fellow teammates decorated the fence with signs, balloons and streamers spelling out “WAFH SENIORS”.

“Their contribution is always something to celebrate and gives us the chance to let them know how we respect what they have done as individuals for the team,” said Coach Gembis, who considered the game “special”, but “bittersweet”.

After this emotional win, the coach is trying to refocus the team on the future while still letting the team celebrate after their senior day victory.

“They have been continually improving, gaining momentum and really working together as a team,” said Coach Raeann Gembis. “Our schedule against some of the big power houses in field hockey always prepared us for postseason play.”