Joan Mitchell: Lifetime Nurse

Mrs. Mitchell in the clinic.

By Doug Boyle

Students rely on school nurses to attend to their medical needs. Everyday a new situation presents itself to the nurses at Westford Academy.

Joan Mitchell is the head of the  nurse department here at Westford Academy. In addition to her job at Westford, she also works at Pediatrics West as a nurse aid. Mitchell has worked as a nurse for 25 years, and has spent eleven of those years in the Westford school system. Mitchell worked at Robinson Elementary for two years and Blanchard Middle School for seven years before becoming the head of nursing at Westford Academy.

The move to Westford Academy was easy for Mitchell; it allowed her to leave the clinic for meetings and still have another nurse available for the students. She feels very comfortable at the high school and has gotten to know the students well.

“A lot of the kids now at Westford Academy I had at Robinson,” said Mitchell.

She received her nursing license and bachelor’s in science at Providence College in the Health Aid Department. At Providence College, Mitchell majored in Science and Business. After, she went to nursing school where she received her RN.

Mitchell has wanted to be a nurse her whole life and has considered no other career. It was a job that was truly appealing to her from the start.

“I always wanted to be a nurse,” said Mitchell, “I enjoyed taking care of people.”

Mrs. Mitchell, on a day to day basis, runs the walk-in clinic at WA. This clinic deals with a wide variety of issues including health care plans, first aid, and mental health. She also is in charge of the nursing staff  and makes sure everything in the department is in order.

“The most interesting part is never knowing what the day will bring me,” said Mitchell, “it can be very quiet or be up to a hundred kids a day.”

Mitchell plans on continuing to work as nurse whether it is at Westford Academy, another school, or any other clinic. Her hard work to improve the lives of students at WA has caused her to become one of the most respected staff members in the school and has become someone who is heavily relied upon by many students.

“She is always willing to help the students whether it be medically or emotionally,” said Joe Nallen, a junior at WA. “She is always really nice and helpful with whatever you need.”