Opinion: Diwali celebration long overdue

By Anastasha Echavarri
News Editor

Several families and friends are gathered and celebrate a special occasion to honor their religion. Lamps known as diyas are lit all around the house and fireworks are setting off outside. Families go to pray at temples and special foods are prepared. The celebration just described is known as Diwali and is celebrated by all Hindus.

Diwali is one of the most important Hindu holidays of the year, and it is known as the “Festival of Lights”. However, several Hindus cannot celebrate this holiday to the extent that they would like to. Imagine that Christmas had to be cancelled, or that homework took precedence over visiting family or watching football on Thanksgiving.

While it is clear that several communities throughout Massachusetts recognize Jewish and Christian holidays, it is equally clear that few schools give the same amount of attention to other religions.

Like most schools, WA has never recognized Diwali as a reason to close school or not to give students homework.

Because Christmas is celebrated by so many people, it is a given that students are allowed a holiday break.

During important Jewish holidays, all Jewish students at WA have the option of leaving school in order to go to temple and all students are given a reprieve from homework for those days.

In towns such as Cambridge, MA, schools recognized certain Muslim holidays and put them on their calendars. Other schools such as Acton-Boxborough actually close public schools for holidays such as Good Friday, Yom Kippur, and Rosh Hashanah.

Some say that the reason students still go to school is because Diwali takes place at night. If students of the Hindu faith do not have to go anywhere during the day, it is believed that there is no reason as to why they should not go to school.

However, it is not going to school that becomes overwhelming, but rather the homework they receive on religious holidays.

“I envy those of other faiths who are granted religious exceptions for schoolwork on religious holidays. On Diwali and a handful of other Hindu religious events throughout the year, I am unable to perform my religious duties because of my overabundance of academic work,” said senior Param Karandikar.

Between practicing their religion and balancing their regular workload, people who celebrate this holiday cannot always enjoy Diwali to its fullest.

A shrine in honor of Diwali

“Think of it as trying to celebrate Christmas in one day,” said English teacher Rashmi Kumar.

Kumar has been an advocate for  the Hindu community at WA for several years. About eight years ago, she tried to make WA recognize this holiday by supporting a petition that asked for a no-homework day the day after Diwali.

But after the petition did not go through, Kumar has come up with other ideas that may give this holiday the recognition it deserves.

“We need to verbalize what we want, and maybe groups of students could go and talk to teachers and let them know that they won’t be able to get homework done that night. It needs to be verbalized,” said Kumar.

The school is becoming more and more diverse each year. It is no longer the case that Christmas is the only religious holiday to be celebrated. Diwali is extremely important to the Hindu community, and it needs to be made clear to administration that Diwali is not just some holiday to be overlooked.

There is hope, however, that changes can me made to raise awareness about this holiday. WA as a whole needs to know why Diwali is celebrated.

“I think every background should be appreciated and acknowledged in some way, shape, or form[…]I would be open to coming up with some sort of diversity plan,” said principal Jim Antonelli.

And although it seems fair that all celebrations of each religion should be recognized, there is something to be said for keeping holidays from disrupting the classrooms.

“I worry about the start-stop of no homework this night, or no tests this day. What I don’t want to see it do is have a negative impact,” said Antonelli.

It is true that if every holiday of every faith were to be celebrated then the teachers and the students would be constantly fighting to keep up with their work. However, there is something to be said for honoring the most important holidays.

There are enough students of the Hindu faith here at WA to say that Diwali is just as significant as Christmas and Yom Kippur. Although it does not take place during the daytime, something should be done for students who wish to celebrate Diwali. They should not have to worry about completing homework for the next day.

This year Diwali will take place on November 13. There is still enough time for administration to recognize this holiday and to take action.

This cannot be another year where Diwali comes and goes and no one notices. People need to speak up and say “I want to celebrate my religion” because if they do, things will change. If there isn’t homework on Christmas or Yom Kippur, then why not Diwali?