International Exchange Students to Spend the Year at Westford Academy

Mollburg (left) and Brambilla are both full year International students spending the year at Westford Academy.

By Amy Keum
Staff  Writer

Leaving home for a even just a couple weeks for camp can prove to be a difficult experience for many teenagers but Luca Brambilla, 17, and Emilia Mollberg, 17, two seniors at Westford Academy, are excited to spend the year in a foreign country miles away from home. Brambilla, joining the school from Italy, arrrived just last month, while Mollberg left her home in Finland earlier in the school year.

When signing up for the International Exchange program in America, Brambilla and Mollberg initially had no idea where they would be sent. Mollberg, having traveled to the United States once before, had a clearer idea of what she was getting into while for Brambilla, it was more of a surprise.

“This is my first time being in the USA and I’ve always wanted to learn English well and just have a year abroad,” said Brambilla.

Although the immersion into American culture in itself is quite the experience, they both are here to improve their English. Unlike students in the Westford Public School System, students in Finland and Italy begin taking a second language, English, in about third grade. Brambilla, however, jokes, “I started taking English in third grade but I had a bad teacher and didn’t really start learning until middle school.”

Despite this, they both speak fluently in the language.

One of the main reasons behind Mollburg’s decision to come abroad is her synchronized skating. Having already been in contact with a Finnish coach who lives in Boston, she was able to join a team in Lexington and is currently staying with one of her fellow skaters.

Along with the language barrier, there are many differences in the United States that the two have had to adjust to. Brambilla mentioned how much bigger the school is. Along with that, he is not used to switching classrooms because in Italy, the teachers are the ones who switch.

One of the biggest cultural differences they mentioned was the amount of independence that teenagers are allowed.

“My host parents are different from my own parents. Back home, when we are 18 we are adults and kind of can do whatever we want. Here, they take care of you more. It’s very different but I’m very happy to be staying with my host family,” said Mollburg.

Mollburg expected Americans to be very polite and friendly and apparently her expectations were confirmed upon her arrival.

Brambilla on the other hand had no idea what to expect. “I didn’t really have many expectations because I didn’t want to be disappointed. I didn’t even know if I was gonna be able to end up going. I only knew my host family for about a week before I left.”

When they first arrived, the two felt overwhelmed with the size of the school. “I think for the first two weeks I was walking around with a map,” said Brambilla. They also felt intimidated by the thought of who they’d sit with at lunch, being new. Nowadays, they’ve learned their way around the building and have began to develop friendships with their fellow classmates.

The two are already getting involved in the school. Both are members of the International Club which helped to facilitate the process of finding and hosting of two students. Additionally, Brambilla is interested in the prospect of joining the WA Track team for the winter season if he finds the time while Mollburg will be kept busy with her figure skating.

So far, Brambilla and Mollburg seem to be fairly comfortable in their life here in America, but both miss their friends and family back home.

“My friends and family were crying at the airport,” said Mollburg.

Brambilla on the other hand,jokes that he doesn’t miss anything yet. Either way, the students are excited to spend their year here at Westford Academy.